Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AdrianF

question on guide placement...

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hello again guys HappyWave.gif

Today I laid out the guides for my 1201L, took it outside and gave it a few casts. So far so good. Spaced the guides at, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6.3, 7.1, 7.9, 8.7, 9.5, 11 inches from the tip (9 guides plus tip) with the stripper guide being 28.75 inches from the center of the reel. The stress distribution test looked good, nice steady angles, not touching blank. Casts were better than i expected.

My question is, How much will moving the guides around effect the distance? I played with the guides postitions, but did not notice much change at all, only if i moved the stripper guide. It seems to me, that exact guide location is more critical when building a spinning rod as opposed to a conventional like i'm building. Is this true? or is it just me.

Cant wait till shes done smile.gif First time ever building a rod, It's allota fun! already got my next project planned out biggrin.gif

Thanks alot guys!

Adrian,

Once you have the stripper guide positioned correctly, spinning or conventional, you have won a major part of the battle in getting maximum performance out of the blank.

The position and number of the remaining guides will impact casting performance as well. However, this is more a factor of guide size and type. You want to use the lightest guides for a particular application for casting since you do not want to overload the blank.

Al