Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Al_Barrs

Guide wrap epoxy or rod varnish?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Al , all I can do is offer what I do . I use 2 coats of Perma-Gloss , then a high build epoxy .The only rods I've used varnish on were bamboo repairs that I've done . Using Perma-Gloss gives me a "base coat" them 1 coat of high build usually covers the wraps good , with the exeption of a thick multi layered butt wrap .

Thats how I do all the saltwater rods that I've done. No complaints yet .

There are some new epoxies out now that may change the way I do my finish work , but I'm not comfortable with them yet to use them on anything other than something I'm building for myself .

John Henry

Al , all I can do is offer what I do . I use 2 coats of Perma-Gloss , then a high build epoxy .The only rods I've used varnish on were bamboo repairs that I've done . Using Perma-Gloss gives me a "base coat" them 1 coat of high build usually covers the wraps good , with the exeption of a thick multi layered butt wrap .

There are some new epoxies out now that may change the way I do my finish work , but I'm not comfortable with them yet to use them on anything other than something I'm building for myself .

John Henry

John Henry

Thanks John;

Any suggestion where I can order the Perma-Gloss and high build epoxy? I ordered guides, thread, rod restorer and rod varnish from MudHole Tackle in Oviedo FL and they backordered one and haven't told me when to expect it to be shipped. Little leary about ordering more from them. I have to replace the guides on a Diawa 13' surf rod. Do some Red Drum fishing in the fall when the water cools.

www.jannsnetcraft.com This is where I get my stuff from . Great people , 3 days to my door , i'm in CT they're in Ohio . Shop on line ,When you enter an item into your basket , it will tell you if it is going to backorder , then you have the option to cancel it or wait . They will also tell you when expected delivery will be .The only backorders I've gotten were some brushes and an ocasional guide or tip top . Good prices too !

John