Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bob Balcombe

Reelseat failure

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

When I first started building and repairing rods I can remember it was masking tape that every one used for arbors including major manufactures. What I found was that those that failed were the ones That did not have a good glue bond. What I observed was the bonding agent was just on the outside of the tape and there was no penetration So what I started doing and I even do it to foam arbors today. I cut thin slices across the width of the tape and on abors today to the blank. I do this on 8 axises. If I am using dry wall tape I do not have to cut slices. Do to the fact the tape is poris and the bonding agent goes from the blank all the way to the reelseat

Good Wraps Bob

Bob,

Used masking tape all my life, but I only use three small bands and the all sit well inside the reelseat tube. I am very generous with the epoxy so the tape never sees water. It's pretty much solid epoxy under there. Never had a failure, even on all the offshore stuff or the rods my friend leave on the roof racks 365 a year. Knock wood? Don't think I need to, but what the heck... Knock knock!!

I also use minimum amount of tape and have a method to fill 100% with epoxy. I am interested in further information of the foam bushings you mentioned. What are they , where do you get them. Use , etc if you have the time , please elaborate.

My experince has been that there was not enough bonding agent used . Masking tape will also dry out and loosen over time. That was why I sliced my maasking tape To make sure glue got in beteen and in to the tape. I now use dry wall tape, that way I know I have a bond from the reelseat to the blank. I also use Rod Bond. Most supplies have foam arbors (Graphite Arbors) like MudeHole, Anglers WorkShop and Jeans NetCrafter to name a few. Just go on line and look up custom fishing rod supplies

The most important factor I have found is the type of Epoxy glue that is used. In the past only 24hour Epoxy was available and I had no failures. With the advent of 5 Minute Epoxy I have had failures. Unforntunately the older 24 hour type epoxy is no longer available in hardware or tackle shops in Australia. So the question now that I have is which brand of Epoxy is the strongest?

I would never use 5 minute epoxy for a seat. I like Kardohl and the flexcoat rodbond depending on the gap size between the seat and blank. For thin gaps I like the rodbond. For thicker , the Kardohl.