Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
River Surf Caster

Help with new rod

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I have always bought off the rack. I am buying a Gambit 24 from Conoflex, and need help with the options. First question, What is wipping? Next, where do I want the reel fitting to be positioned? Should I specify what type of grip? Color? Anything else? Help please, I want to order this rod now!

Rivercaster,

From your profile you are from Ohio and you are ordering a custom rod from Conoflex in England without the rod being fitted to you and it sounds like this is your first custom rod.

Let's start from scratch.

What is the length of the rod?

Is it a 1-piece or 2-piece rod?

Spinning or conventional?

Lure or sinker weight range?

Reel and line you intend to use?

What are you fishing for?

Your height and weight?

What is your sleeve length?

Whipping are the guide wraps.

They want to know where to position the reelseat from the end of the butt.

Colors and grip material options: What is available?

When I get the answers then I possibly can make some suggestions.

I fish for stripers on the Ohio river. I fish dam tailwaters, and long cast (100yds+) are required. I fish with 2-3oz lead spoons, jigs, and weighted zera spook type lures. In addition to distance, it is important to maintain a high retrieve speed to keep the lures on top (except for the jigs).

My current rod of choice is an 11' St.Croix (2-4oz) with a Daiwa Emblem-z 5000A with 30lb wiplash. I will probably use the same reel on the Conoflex, but may have to upgrade to 50lb wiplash as I am running low on the 30lb (it is no longer manufactured).

The Gambit 24 xtra is a 2 piece rod (6'1" X 2)rated at 2-4oz, and I will have it fitted with low riders. I am 5'6" @ 140lbs with 21" arms.

I have sent an E-mail to Conoflex to determine what type of grip and reel seats are available.

Thanks for your help, It is very difficult to get surf casting gear in Ohio, and almost impossible to get information!

Fishsticks,

Sounds to me you need either an Arra 1322-2 or a Lami GSB132-2M. I would not go for a 12 foot blank standing only 5 ft 6 inches. It's a matter of leverage.

Please send me a private email to discuss having it built here in the States for you.

Al