Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bonefishdick

Liquid Fusion- I like it.

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Yesterday I decided to try using some Liquid Fusion for the first time and at this point I have to say I am very pleased with the results. I promised a friend of mine in Florida I would try to make some Finger Mullet flies.for him using the same materials that I use to make my Betsy. I have no idea what a finger mullet looks like and looked at a few versions on line and in the end this is what came out of the oven.

The goal was to make a Finger Mullet and learn how to use the Liquid Fusion at the same time. A sort of kill two birds with one stone undertaking. Comments welcome.

The materials again are Unique Hair and a couple colors of Farrar Fur. The Unique Hair is white, the Farrar is UV Olive for the sides and Bleeding Grey for the back. Hook is size 1 Mustad Signature 34007 in Z steel. ( They don't make these anymore.) The eyes are 3D Oval Pupil stick on eyes.

The Liquid Fusion gives an incredible clear hard head. It took a about three times to fill the gap between the eyes and get a smooth finished head. Someone mentioned the best way to get a smooth and level finish was to use a small paint brush and some water when using this stuff. That was a tremendous tip and I thank you very much.

I will be mailing these to my friend but I guess he won;t get to use them until this fall because my understanding is that is when the Finger Mullet seem to make their presence known. I have no idea how they will cast, swim or fish but I think they might do okay.

I really like the color of these flies and I can see a new Besty in the near future in these colors. The heads will be liquid fusion and this stuff seems to set up faster than I thought but I will still give it 24 hours to cure.

Very nice, do you use regular head cement before applying the Liquid Fusion?   I did see  schools of the finger mullet this fall, October/November on the beaches SW Fla. Moving fast parallel to the shore, lots of the bigger boys crashing them.

I just did the Liquid Fusion right onto the head without cement. I would like to get some feedback on that.

I use flat wax nylon thread to tie and sometimes I wonder about the cement penetrating and bonding. I always did use cement before I did my epoxy heads but when I did that the epoxy would start to flake off after awhile. I wonder if the same thing would happen with the Liquid Fusion .The reason I did the cement first was so the eyes would not bleed when I painted them. I went with straight Liquid Fusion for that reason.

I know the eyes seem big, I believe Finger Mullet have big eyes from what I could find online although these might be too big, I'm not sure. Hopefully I will get some feedback. I think the eyes may just make it stand out enough from the crowd to get a little attention. I often think that is why I have such good luck with my Betsy. I believe they do make a smaller eye like these but I bought these on a whim and decided to use them at this point and at the same time learn how the Liquid Fusion worked.

BFD- In my experience the eyes will fall off pretty quickly with just liquid fusion. Put them on with some goop or E6000 first and when that cures overcoat with liquid fusion.

Fisheye. thanks for the tip.

I took a picture to show the width of the fly, it is somewhat deceiving but the Liquid Fusion being so clear males it look like the eyes are sticking up but the Fusuion is actually higher than the diameter of the eyes. Time will tell if they fall off. They are experimental so I did learn a lot already.

The other picture is some natural colored Betsy flies with painted eyes coated with the Liquid Fusion. The fact this stuff has no odor is such a plus. Time wise it does not seem to take any longer to use this stuff than it does head cement. It only takes longer to cure but worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianBM View Post

What eye color do finger mullet show?

I usually tie the fly with a good size silver/black pupil eye. But I like to experiment abit so I did the red. Caught snook with both versions. Smaller versions have added stripes which produce strikes/fish as well.

BFD- I took another look at yours flies and the larger version of the fly with the big eyes help. I tie some very small salmon fry patterns with really big eyes and what I have found on these where the eyes are bigger than the head, or maybe they make up the head, I use tuffleye or CCG hydro and just encase them and kind of make a bubble. They stay on really well.