Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marky1

Lami MB96 -5m

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Just being curious ,I would like some input on this blank regarding guide spacing. Will be using an Abu6500TCST reel, Fuji BNLG guides. Has anyone built one? I am interested in seeing what some of the suggestions will be coming from the more experienced rod builders out there have to say. Thanks HappyWave.gif

Marky1,

I'm a relative newbie to rod building but I've built a 9' conventional for 1-3 oz plugs and took a 3 day class. But since no one replied to help you I'll give you my .02 to get you started.

#1) Read a rod building book. Don't trust guys like me biggrin.gifwink.gif

#2) My best guesstimate for an 8' conv is you'll need a #20, #16, #12, #12, #12, #10 and a #10 tip. Tough to say I haven't built an 8' yet. You may want to start with the #16. Look at similar rods to the one you want to build and look at their guide sizes.

Good Luck icon14.gif

Well , so far I have it set for ,

#25,#20,#16,#16,#12,#12,#12, #12 tip. It does not look too bad ,unless you differ. I might have to wait until the weekend to get the #10's,and see how that goes.. Any else's input would be helpful. Thanks

Isn't a 25 collector a little big? Like canyondiver said, if you're going to be passing big knots through there, you might need the extra room, but if not, I'd think you could go a bit smaller overall. Then again, if you're listening to me you're in trouble.

The #25 is keeping the line off the blank,as it should be doing. Maybe I am being a little too anal retentive ,but,what do you use to test the location of the guides? confused.gif I am tying the line to a gallon of paint to put stress to the rod.(By all means,NO, I am not picking up the can off the floor!)(HA HA)

When static testing guide layouts, be sure to use a good range of weights to find the best middle ground - some rods will deflect VERY differently with different weights. Keeping the line off the blank is important, but with height you magnify torque, so its a trade-off to be aware of. Good luck.