Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pastormarty

Ferrule wraps?

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Just ordered a Breakaway 1266 for Christmas. I walk around preoccupied about getting it started - feel like the guy with the Volkswagon on his head in the commercial. My question is - do I need to wrap the female ferrule? How necessary/beneficial is it?

All female ferrules should be wrapped with size A thread and two thin coats of finish applied. The length of the wrap should be slghtly longer than the length of the inserted male ferrule.

Remember to wrap with moderate tension on the thread. Too much tension will distort the ferrule.

I would advise wrapping the ferrule right away. It's a fairly heavy rod so don't be flexing it or spining it before you wrap the ferrule.

Boy , I can't even get the spelling correct after two edits! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Saltheart (edited 12-11-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Saltheart (edited 12-11-2002).]

What if, after wrapping the ferrule, I find that I need to locate a guide somewhere on that ferrule wrap? Maybe it's just unlikely this will happen? Can I wrap the ferrule with a heavy type of tape for the purpose of spining, test casting and guide location?

I wouldn't stress it hardly at all without a ferrule wrap. I certainly would never test cast it without a ferrule wrap.

If the guide falls on the ferrule , put it there. I'm pretty familiar with that rod. What's the butt length you are using (butt to reel stem) what reel and which size gathering guide (50 or 40HH assuming its a spinner) . With that info I think I can tell you if it will fall on the ferrule or not.

[This message has been edited by Saltheart (edited 12-12-2002).]

The rod will be conventional (ABU 6500), 25in. butt to bottom of seat (Fuji 22), with cork tape for grip. Guides will be BNLG 25, 20, 16, 12, 12, 10, 10, 10 and a 10 PST tip. I will drop a 12 and/or 10 out if needed. I'm also flirting with the idea of tapering the foregrip and finishing the butt wrap (probably double diamond, 5 diamonds long) on the grip. I will underwrap all guides with A, top wrap with D. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Marty

with the butt length described and starting with a #25 guide (I'd use a 30) , by my estimates , the first guide will be on the handle section and the next ahead of the ferrule wrap , not on it.