Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobber

graphite usa rod opinions??

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of building some new flyrods on the Helix blanks they offer... but am curious how much different thir multi-modulus rods are (they're a bunch cheaper). anyone used these blanks? any feedback is greatly appreciated... thanks- Bob

Absolute junk!!!

That's why I am making a few... smile.gif

That Dual Helix is a powerful line of blanks and is super durable. You won't be sorry if you like powerful rods. I have heard these described as "too much rod for some folks" but I want a few!!

thanks CD- were you able to handle a blank prior to buying?? I can't find a dealer that has the flyrod blanks in stock- how would you compare the "feel" to any of the major brands? (sage/loomis/T&T) thanks- Bob

Haven't been able to fling a DH fly rod, but MattS has so perhaps he will chime in here. He told me the rep, runs the thing over in his truck, lines it up and casts it after the beating. That's impressive even if it has nothing to do with fishing. The guy I spoke to about these is ferm Custom Tackle Supply and he really likes them.

I'll send an e-mail to Matt!

You need to talk with Billy40 on this site.

Do a search and he can give you all the info you want. Although fly tackle isn't his specialty, his understanding of the rods will help you ouyt a lot.

I currently own 2, both that I built. One is a Black Cherry 3pc 18 weight the other is one of their "clear" 10 weights. Although I haven't put a bend in the 18 yet, it looks to be a phenomenal rod.

Hopefully on Billy's next order I can sneak in a 1 pc 13 weight......

Hi CD, Bobber et al,

The blank you are looking at is pretty incredible in a few ways: Durability is said to be OUITSTANDING! I spoke with a builder a few years ago and he told me that his rep used to literally lay the blank on the ground and drive over it with his car to show the strength of the blank!

I did have the pleasure of casting the 10wgt and it was POWERFUL! A cannon at best but I could not call it "forgiving". It is not going to be in everyones taste but but it was in mine and i am only a moderately skilled caster. I would own one in a second.

I'm surprised I missed this thread?

Anyhow, GUSA's in general are amazing blanks. I have not played with any of thier fly rods, but I do know the Abel Fly rods, which won all sorts of awards for Best of 2003 (I think that's right) - are all GUSA blanks. Do research on Abel rods, and that will give you an idea of what the GUSA's are capable of.

You ask specifically about Dual Helix, and Multi-Modules blanks & the difference between the 2. I hate to give you incorrect info, but this is what I was told, and what I think you are referring to.

Multi-Modules describes the different types of graphite they use in their blanks. Where Loomis, St. Croix, Lami use one material in their graphite blanks (IM6, IM7, SCV, SCIV, IMX, GLX, etc) - Gusa takes a different approach. They take up to 6 different types of graphite and wrap them at certain points on the mandrel. Very similar to a graphite-glass composite rod, where they blend the 2 materials. The reason for this? Well, rather than have one material throughout the entire rod, where you can only reap the benefits of certain characteristics (Loomis GLX rods for example, are EXTREMELY stiff and very light, but not that durable, GL2 are "heavy" and have a softer bend) - you take the best characteristic of each material, wrap them at certain points of the blank, and the rod performs at a higher level, while stiff having the durability to be driven over by a truck (Tom from Mudhole did this)

Does that make sense?

The "dual helix" - This is a big GUSA secret material. I do not know exactly what it is, but I do understand the concept, sort of. Please bear with me through my long winded post.

The basic idea is to keep the rod stable. To do this, the concept is to have 2 spines, both located 180 degrees from each other, thus the term "Dual". Helix, I had to look up in the Dictionary: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=helix . Read this, to get the idea, and hopefully will help you understand a little better. Whatever this dual helix material is, it's wrapped on the blank prior to the graphite. It is supposed to give the blank amazing hoop strength, so when the rod bends, the graphite doesn't oval-ize, like a "normal" rod, which in turn prevents it from breaking. You may say, well I never had a graphite rod break before, BUT, when you see how small the diameter is on these blanks (keep in mind I have not seen the fly rods), you will understand why the Dual Helix is so important, or at least the concept behind it.

You referred to a price difference between multi-modules, and Dual Helix. I may be way off, please correct me if I am , but the price difference is between GUSA and United blanks. Basically, United blanks are very similar to GUSA's, but have no Dual Helix. They are built on the same mandrel, I believe the United's have a little more glass in the scrim which holds everything together. I am honestly not sure if United's are built with the Multi-Modules contruction, call Hastings and ask them if you are interested. I have several blanks from United and GUSA, which are the same, and the main difference is the United's have a more moderate bend, and feel softer than GUSA. This is more noticeable in the FW rods, most of the heavier rods for SW and Offshore, I cannot nor can others tell the difference between the way the 2 feel.

If anyone reads this and finds something incorrect, please point it out, and correct me.

Having said all that, if anyone is interested in ordering from GUSA, you can contact me via PM or E-mail, and I will let you know when I order. If you want to come by and pull on one of the 30 GUSA's I have, let me know which one you are interested in, and I will tell you if I have it or not.

There are no Distributors on the East Coast besides on shop near Atlantic City, and sort of me. Part of teh reason they are not big over here, is nobody has anywhere to pull on the blanks, but trust me, if you are looking for the best, GUSA is the way to go.

Do a search on this board for GUSA, there is more info I've posted as well as a few others regarding these blanks.

I built an 11wt 4-piece GUSA (DH series) fly rod and it's one of my favorites,especially for fishing from a boat for big albies at Palm Beach and Harker's. It's fast, powerful, and durable. I also have a 10 wt in the the DHX series, which I do not like as much. I think the DH series are easier to cast and have more lifting power as well.

well- that is alotta information... thanks! I'm not sure i know the difference between DH and DHX flyrod blanks, (as described by Domer)- the site I looked at showed 3- and 4-piece dual helix rods, which I thouhhgt were the same, just more pieces confused.gif I currently use Thomas&thomas Horizon flyrods, and am very happy with them- but I'm looking for a new rod to play around with wink.gif

so all the rest of you guys bought these rods sight unseen? they make 10ft surf rods too- any experience with them?? they look really nice! (on paper) again- thanks for your replies- Bob

Bobber - there is a post on rodbuilding.org which kind of addresses your question. It seems GUSA underates their fly rods in teh heavier weights. Take a look there.

I am not sure the difference between the DH and DHX fly rods blanks, but I could easily find out. As anyone else can - just call Hastings Rod Manufacturing and ask, they are quite helpful in regards to these types of questions. That's where I got a lot of my information from.

Buying site unseen - I purchased 45 of their blanks, to see which ones I liked & didn't like. I sent back the ones I didn't like, and I now have about 30 different SW GUSA and United blanks in stock for people to come pull on so they know what they are getting themselves into. Sorry, no fly blanks or surf blanks.

A question came up a while back about why they have all 2-piece 10' surf blanks - well, the oven they cook the blanks in is only 9 feet long, so I don't think you'll be seeing any 1 piece rods over 8 1/2 (or 9?) feet anytime soon.

As usual guys on the West Coast are light years ahead of us in this area.

For Long Range and Stand-up, GUSA is THE top of the line stick. Try like I did, bang a few different sites and ask some questions before you buy. I won't post the links here, but PM me and I'll send you a couple.

As usual guys on the West Coast are light years ahead of us in this area.

Why do you think that is? I have a few theories, first and foremost, ALL the tackle manufacturers are in California & Washington. So they focus selling their products locally. GUSA has been out for quite a few years, but they didn't market here, so nobody ever heard of them. Out there, they go to all the shows, they Sponsor Tuna charters, etc, etc - so people there know who they are. Let's face it, without ****, nobody on the East Coast would've ever heard about GUSA.

The anglers on the East Coast, for the most part do not want the highest performing tackle. We rather spend $200 on a reel, and put it on an Ugly Stick. Nothing wrong with that.

The East Coast anglers, have such a wide variety of fish to target, it would cost thousands of dollars to outfit themselves with a couple of hi-end set-ups per species.

Of course, the water we fish and the fish we fish for do not really warrant having a specific set up for each type of fish. I tell people this all the time, if you want 1 boat rod for ALL Inshore fishing, get a Calstar 700L. It'll do it all..obviously it's not ideal for Flounder fishing, but it is "light" enough to get by if you only wanted 1 rod.

Opinons?

Take a look around their site, there are some amazing pics of rods in action. Plus this cool story.

http://www.hastingsrodmanufacturing....onsterRay.html

The Testomonials, a guy landed a 135# Yellowfin, on a rod I've told people makes a good Bass chunking stick (but since I dont' fish for Bass, I can't say for sure) http://www.hastingsrodmanufacturing....sV2.html#vern7