Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeff B

Glass, Graphite, or composite?

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

Hi Al,

I will picking up a 6' pistol-grip M or MH action casting rod for sweetwater boat use, for pitchin smaller spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, poppers, etc. Primarily close-quarters tossing from the deck around docks, rocks & shoreline structure. Will mate it up with Curado 101 or 201 most likely.

Not looking to spend over $100-ish.

Would you recommend glass, graphite or blend? I appreciate the loading properties of glass for cast & retrieve presentation, but have had no problem with using graphite for the last several years (at least none that I noticed!). Would sticking with graphite be a mistake in your opinion? Any losses with switching to glass?

(A few factory/non-custom I have looked at so far are Falcon, Castaway, Berkley Lightning Rod, Shimano Jimmy Houston Series and some BassProShops models)

THANK YOU!

------------------

NEVER FORGET

09-11-01

AMERICA UNITED

Jeff B

Jeff,

I am not a freshwater fisherman, however, I use a similar type of rod in saltwater casting small plugs and jigs with a small Calcutta.

The one thing you did not mention is the type on line you will be using, mono or braid. The high-tech graphite blanks do not like braid, they break.

Any of the rods you mentioned would work well. The new 2002 Bass Pro and Cabelas catalogs have a great selection in all price ranges. Make sure you go with a rod with SIC guides would be my only recommendation.

Al