Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ahab7

Allstar/Breakway Blank for Light Plugs

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Still searching for the perfect "light stuff" surf (beach ) rod to throw 3/4 to 1 3/4 oz plugs such as Bombers and light metal, conventional wrap - reel to be Abu 6500 mag elite, 12 lb. test. Desired length 10 - 12 ft. Looking at the Allstar/Breakway listed below - Any and all opinions welcome. - very open to other suggestions.

BGSW1206-2 Casting 10' 2 3/4-1 3/4 12-25 Mod. Fast Med.-Hvy

BGSW1266-2 Casting 10'6" 2 3/4-1 3/4 12-25 Mod. Fast Med.-Hvy

BGSW1387-2 Casting 11'6" 2 3/4-2 12-30 Mod. Fast Heavy

Thanks

Ahab7,

I have the Allstar 1265 2 piece built up in spinning and it is rated to throw 3/4-3oz lures. I throw 2 oz stingsilvers with it with ease and get great distances. It is 10 1/2 feet long with Alconite guides, and I for Christmas just got a Stradic 5000 ... it is a nice setup. A 6500 would be great on it as well.

You mentioned the Breakaway 1266 in your post to throw 3/4-2oz. lures. I have the 1266 Breakaway with a 6500 to throw 3-4oz lures and it will surely throw a 4oz metal lures well. With that said about the 4oz, I do not think the 1266 would load up with what weight you are wanted to throw. This is my experience by having these two rods.

The other rods you mentioned I do not have.

Sincerely,

Reelturner

I have the 1266/2. It won't throw 3/4 oz very well. I think RT's recommendation of the 1265/2 is right on the money for those weights.

Ditchjigger,

I think you and Saltheart were the last two people who helped me decide on a reel for the 1265/2 Allstar. I told my wife and she got me the Stradic 5000 for my price range I could not handle the Substain. Anyway the 5000 seems to perform very well to me. I just got back from the banks although not having a 4 wheel drive we did not get any stripers, BUT they were all around us at times!! I throwed 2 3/4 topwater plugs had a good time.

Again, Thanks for all the input, and anyone else who chimed in.

RT