TheRealTheRick

Collecting Eel Skins (Wood)

125 posts in this topic

Cool thread. Here are my BM eel skins. Top 2oz pencil isn't an eelskin but the same color. The bottom jr has 1 belly swivel. 

Uh ohh Rick, more variations you'll have to search for!

Thank you for sharing Roy, great stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy C View Post

Good luck with your search - the ones you are talking about are mine - picture attached - even though they made 11 - I only know of 3 in collections and 2 are mine - sorry they are not going anywhere. Stan Kuzia told me these were the only two colors John Gibbs painted them in. These I had Stan sign a couple years a go when he showed up at the SWLCC show in Bourne Mass. These are 11 inches long. The white needle in the picture is an early Silent George Needlefish

I see you added Blue Streak and Ebb Lure. Here a couple pictures to help people ID these baits. The Blue Streak comes up here and there - from the early 1950s and a great little bait to find - one of the few early baits designed for Eel skins. This is the only color I have seen these in. The second picture is for the Ebb Lure - the real one is in the back and a very tuff bait to find - we know little to nothing about them - seems to be from about 1950 from the hooks that have been found on them - I know of less than 8 or so of these. We know the name because it is printed on the right side of the bait. Maybe the easier one to find - or maybe not is the Steve Sylver AKA Capesams version you see in the foreground. Good luck in your hunt. Roy

I see you mentioned Masterlure in your original post - I can not think of a single Masterlure I have ever seen made as an Eel skin plug - not to say they never made any - I just have never seen one.

Spin atom and atom 54jrs were what we used hands down.

Add a little dental floss ,eel skin inside out ,you need the blue showing NoT the black..whith about 4 inches flapping in the rear for the best action. Frozen eels,nailed to a tree,pull back skin , 5 -10 mins and your done.

You would need huge eels for most of the manf wood lures.

#2. Eelskin USED lures were capt Andy hands down.

Most if not all of his were useed in boats

Here's another one. It has the same groove down the top as the one's Roy posted but I have no idea if it is by the same person or not. I've been trying to identify it for some time.

Good luck with your search - the ones you are talking about are mine - picture attached - even though they made 11 - I only know of 3 in collections and 2 are mine - sorry they are not going anywhere. Stan Kuzia told me these were the only two colors John Gibbs painted them in. These I had Stan sign a couple years a go when he showed up at the SWLCC show in Bourne Mass. These are 11 inches long. The white needle in the picture is an early Silent George Needlefish

I see you added Blue Streak and Ebb Lure. Here a couple pictures to help people ID these baits. The Blue Streak comes up here and there - from the early 1950s and a great little bait to find - one of the few early baits designed for Eel skins. This is the only color I have seen these in. The second picture is for the Ebb Lure - the real one is in the back and a very tuff bait to find - we know little to nothing about them - seems to be from about 1950 from the hooks that have been found on them - I know of less than 8 or so of these. We know the name because it is printed on the right side of the bait. Maybe the easier one to find - or maybe not is the Steve Sylver AKA Capesams version you see in the foreground. Good luck in your hunt. Roy

Super nice stuff as always Roy! I have to get out your way and check out your collection sometime! Hope all is well by the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skinnywater View Post

That middle one is nice! I love that paint scheme especially when they put sparkles on the sides :drool: