Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
doyle007

jetty & surf plugging rod

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

i need some suggestions for a rod. i flyfish 99% of the time, and the rest of the time i use a 9' daiwa sea-linex spinning rod to throw some stuff. what i would really like to do is to build a pretty decent plugging rod that would be used from the sand and occasionally from a jetty. i'm looking for a conventional set up to throw between 1 and 3 or 4 oz. i'll probably go with braid for the line. i'm thinking of either an abu 6500 c3 (which i already own), a Penn 965 (which i also own but never use), or an avet sx.

so, what'dya think? i would like to keep the blank to about a $125 max, but cheaper and effective works fine for me. it doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to work.

guys, thanks for the input. i was checking out some of the other sites, which by the way i see a lot of familiar names from here when i visit them, and i'm going to consider a batson 1087 or 1088. after looking at my current plug inventory, i figured that i needed something that will throw somewhat lighter plugs, so i'm leaning towards the 1087. it seems to get great reviews, and the price can't be beat. once i beef up my pluggage with some heavier stuff, then i may also get the 1088 to handle some of the bigger stuff. the price for these blanks makes it affordable enough to build both.

i also took a look at my abu 6500 c3 last night, and i figure that i'll start with that reel on the rod. i took it completely apart (which i have never done before), and tried to figure out some options for adding magnets, smoothie drags, and some of that rocket fuel lube.

is my goal to be mr. custom fishing tackle? i don't know, but i like the idea of wrapping my own rods, magging my reels, and building my own plugs. hopefully the fish will like it too.

I would suggest you pick up both Batson blanks now, and maybe set aside the 1088 and build on it down the road.

Reason is, Batson is switching blank vendors, as Bill Batson just explained on a rodbuilding web site. They plan on having a new, premium line of blanks produced in the US and will likely have their less expensive ones (which will be called their Forecast models) produced to their specs overseas.

I figure there's a 99.9% chance quality will be the same, but there's that .1% you avoid if you buy both blanks now. Right now, Batson quality is as good as anyone in the industry. Also, if you want to compare among heavier blanks, Batson now has a "SU" series of blanks to go with their SW. The SU series was designed by Don Mook who used to be with All Star and who designed the excellent All Star GSW line, which Breakaways are built on. The SU 1088 is a notch heavier that the SW 1088. Both are great blanks, it's a question of personal preference. My wife has a custom SW 1088 that I "borrowed" a few times and broke its cherry on a few bass. Very sweet stick, and strong. Feels identical to my tried and true Sabre IGSC 1088.

Whatever weight range you want , go for the SU not the SW Batsons. An Su 1087 will do what you asked for above. The SU1088 is a great rod for a beachway , etc.

There is only a small difference in price of an Allstar Vs an SU Batson. The Allstar line has a better range of choices around what you are looking for. In the 9 foot range , the 1145/2 Allstar is better than anything the Batson line offers right now. I assume batson will eventually offer this rod in their SU line. The Allstar 1265/2 is perhaps the best 1 to 3 OZ rod available from anyone at any price but it 10.5 feet. .

I am told the allstar/breakaway blanks are extremely difficult to get now and with the sale of allstar to shakespear who knows if they will be available . I have the gsw-1418-2 in both a custom rod and factory breakaway (11-9) and friends want to duplicate the custom rod . If the allstar blank isn't available will be batson SU-1418 be an equal .

Don Mook did not design the Breakaway blank line. That line was ongoing before he ever worked here at All Star. Don't worry about getting Breakaway blanks. We are here to stay. If you are having a problem getting blanks give me a call and I will help you locate what you need. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Sharon Johnson

All Star