Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Loudog

Older Surf Rods- Info Please

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

I just inherited my wife's grandfather's surf rods and am looking for some info on them. I know one of them is a Berkely Buccaneer glass, the other is a Sears Ted Williams special (white glass), and the other is a Garcia Conolon. The Garcia and Berkely have metal ferrules which fit nice and tight and the Ted Williams has what looks to be a tip over butt ferrule.

I am planning on stripping these completely and fitting them with new fuji seats, cork tape, and new guides. I want to use these for working small pencil poppers and occasionally throwing bunker chunks and clams off the Jersey surf and jetties. I don't currently fish with bait, but I thought that using these glass rods and soaking some chunks or clams, would serve them justice since that's the way they were originally fished by my wife's grandfather.

I noticed that the Garcia has a metal tube sticking out of the bottom cork where it looks like a butt cap fell off. The metal tube seems to run the length of the entire bottom cork and possibly into the reel seat. Is it possible that the blank was extended and the handle built on a metal sleeve? I know nothing about extensions or sleeves. How would I go about rebuilding this section?

My main question is about the building processes of 30 or 40 years ago. Is it the norm that handles were built on external sleeves as opposed to directly on the blank??

Thanks for any info.

biggrin.gif

Allot of rods like you discribed had aluminum butt sections do to cost. I wouldn't spend allot of time or money on these rods as in there day were 25 to 30 dollar rods