Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dubs

Quick question on Underwraps?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Al,

I'm a greenhorn at this rod building thing, love doing it but I have much to learn. I went back and read many of the threads and helpful tips you've given, Thank you for the information. I was reading the thread on underwraps, you said that you give the underwraps a thin coat of finish, I was wondering, are you using Flex Coat for the underwraps as well? I saw mention of Flex Coat Lite, although I know nothing about it, heck I never heard of color preserver either, I'm greenwink.gif. I was wondering what is the finish of choice for this task?

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Dubs,

Color sealant (preserver) is not finish. it is applied to maintain the color fidelity of the thread. I apply two thin coats of sealant to the underwraps and then let it dry for two days to fully cure.

I then apply a thin coat of regular Flexcoat.

Just mix and apply regular Flexcoat as per the instructions. Then while the rod is on the slow turning motor squeeze out your brush with a paper towel and wick away the applied finish from the underwraps. Keep doing this until the thread is only tacky to the touch.

Now moisten a piece of paper towel with isopropyl alcohol and run the straight edge of the towel around the edges of the underwrap to remove any finish that got on the blank.

Let the rod turn overnight to dry then wait at leat two days to allow the finish to fully cure before doing your overwraps.

If you are using regular dark colored thread like black, navy blue or dark brown as an overwrap do not apply color sealant. Simply apply two thin coats of finish as described above. Then apply a final coat and gently flame the wraps as discussed in previous threads.

As questions just email.

Best.

Al

Thank you very much for shedding some light on the subject.biggrin.gif I like the plain old bland rod look, black thread for the most part so that cuts out one step. That's good because I just finished a rod last night and I was worried that this may be really important.

One thing that I didn't do was coat the under wraps. The other boo boo that I learned today was the curing time on the flex coat, I applied the second coat 24 hours after the first. Hopefully it doesn't ruin the rod.

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

[This message has been edited by Dubs (edited 03-06-2001).]

Dubs,

Al pointed out in another post a while back to clean off the color preserver from the blank with some alcohol. This will ensure a good seal to keep out water.

I found out the hard way when the base wrap blushed white after a dunking. Itt came out better the second time.

Dan