Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheKintnerBoy

Grip selection Question

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Long time lurker, first time poster. Got a question for you builders...

I am building a Lami GLB961L, set up for light tackel spinning. I have never built such a thin diametered surf rod. My preference for the grips, is to wrap em with cork tape, as the rest of my larger surf builds have been built.

Is this blank too thin for cork tape? Is doubling up the cork tape an option? Want to stay away from the black foam style grips. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

How about cork tape over a thin EVA foregrip, never tried it, but it might be an easier/cheaper way of building up the diameter as opposed to several layers of cork tape.

Just put two layers of cork tape. its done all the time just for the reason you mention. as someone already said , reverse the direction on the second layer so the seams are crossing each other from layer to layer rather than running paralell.

I run lotsa double layers but never reverse them. Being much more comfortable workin' the stuff left to right, I just lay on the second layer so that the seam in the first layer is centered on the upper layer of cork tape. Works for me at least, and I never have any quality or durablity issues at all doing it that way.

Can't help your question....

But your moniker deserves some props. icon14.gificon14.gif

Thats food for thought... wink.gif

And yes young Kintner, the doubled cork tape works great. I've built 2 light surf sticks on salmon/steelhead blanks and the double tape builds up the handle thickness just right.

I do the double layer, but use natural cork tape for the bottom layer. It has a lower percentage of rubber so the overall grip comes out a bit firmer than two layers of the standard tape.

I do the double layer, but use natural cork tape for the bottom layer. It has a lower percentage of rubber so the overall grip comes out a bit firmer than two layers of the standard tape.

icon14.gif Yep and cheaper too! smile.gif

You can use the split grip style using eva or cork for 2 inches on the butt and just below the reel seat and then fill in the "split" with cork tape. It will ease your hand's transition from reel seat to blank on a thin diameter rod and won't increase the weight.