Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sageguy

18 Weight

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Al,

Need your advice again. Ordered a nice black cherry 18 weight blank from Graphite USA. Should be here in about 3 weeks.

Need your advice on a couple of things.

I'm not going to use any snake guides at all. Start my strippers at 30 and on down from there. What size thread would you use?? Would you use an under wrap??

As far as the reel seat would one of AFTCO aluminum big game seats work? They are far more reasonable than most fly seats.

Thanks ahead of time!

Sage,

Sounds like you will be building an "elephant gun".

Seriously, bluewater fly rods are strictly fishing fighting tools with very limited casting requirements. Therefore everything has to be built extra strong due to the extreme stress the rod will be subjected to.

All guides should be underwrapped with size A thread and coated with a thin coat of finish.

You can use a 25 or 30 NSG stripper. If you go with the 30 then continue with a 20,16 and 12 NSG. Then go to single foot SIC fly guides using #10's all the way to the tip. Make sure to use an oversize ring for the tip, #10 ring.

I would double overwrap the three double-footed guides with size A thread with a thin coat of finish applied between wraps. The single foot guides will only need one overwrap of size A thread.

I have a 4-piece 17-18 weight Lami composite sitting down in the shop for me to work on this spring. I plan on using it in the fall off Montauk when the small schoolie bluefin tuna are in that run 40-60 lbs.

Al

whoah

an 18 wt, man that would be fun....

I spoke with a guy at a local orvis shop who has built a couple. His setup sounds similar to what al is recc.

i can't imagine a blufin on a fly-rod....

post a pic when you are both finished

My insane goal this summer is to break the all tackle fly rod record for bluefin. Last I checked it was 212 pounds.

Gotta have something to do in the winter.

Thanks again AL!

Would you use spar urethane for the in between coats to really sink thru the wraps??

[This message has been edited by sageguy (edited 01-27-2003).]

Sage,

A very thin coat of any of the high-build finishes will work well.

Apply the finish then wick off the excess so that the threads are just tacky to the touch.

Then wait 24 hours and apply a second coat in the same way. Wait 48 hours and then apply your second overwrap and repeat the finishing steps above. However, this time apply three thin coats of finish.

It is very important that you let the rod rest for at least two weeks before flexing it in any way. This will allow the finish to fully cure and minimize cracking at the guide feet.

Al

I'd like to resurrect this thread since I am planning a bluefin tuna trip this summer and it looks like Graphite USA doesn't offer that rod blank anymore. Any chance you guys could recommend another blank? I am also interested in keeping it IGFA legal, any resources you could recommend? So far I am thinking Fuji NSG guides, 12WT 8' 6" Overall length with a 4" fighting butt that I want to double as a grip for two handed casting. I have an idea to use this rod while wetsuit fishing for stripers.

whoah

an 18 wt, man that would be fun....

I spoke with a guy at a local orvis shop who has built a couple. His setup sounds similar to what al is recc.

i can't imagine a blufin on a fly-rod....

post a pic when you are both finished

Stroth

Hardly a fly rod built like this. :)

Mike

REally sad to see this. Chris bought the 12 & 15 weight GUSA's from me after the first NERBs mass gathering. He passed away a few months ago. SUper guy.

Al,

Need your advice again. Ordered a nice black cherry 18 weight blank from Graphite USA. Should be here in about 3 weeks.

Need your advice on a couple of things.

I'm not going to use any snake guides at all. Start my strippers at 30 and on down from there. What size thread would you use?? Would you use an under wrap??

As far as the reel seat would one of AFTCO aluminum big game seats work? They are far more reasonable than most fly seats.

Thanks ahead of time!

A few years ago I built myself an 8' 15/16wt 1pc shikari for the local reef donkeys, and the 17mm Fuji dpsm was perfect for it. It's highly unlikely that the aftco seat your considering is going to accommodate your reels without wobbling. If you do decide to go the aluminum route, go with alps. You do not want a 15oz reel wobbling while you're trying to gain line on something big and angry.

I'd like to resurrect this thread since I am planning a bluefin tuna trip this summer and it looks like Graphite USA doesn't offer that rod blank anymore. Any chance you guys could recommend another blank? I am also interested in keeping it IGFA legal, any resources you could recommend? So far I am thinking Fuji NSG guides, 12WT 8' 6" Overall length with a 4" fighting butt that I want to double as a grip for two handed casting. I have an idea to use this rod while wetsuit fishing for stripers.

If you are serious about two handed casting then give your lower hand a decent fist of it. 4 inches is on the short size consider 6 inches. No double haul with a TH cast so you need as much help from the lower hand as you can get to generate any reasonable line speed with a short rod.

Mike

It's been 12 years since the first post on this thread.  In that time big game fly fishing has grown exponentially and the rod and reel technologies have vastly improved.  if you plan to pursue an IGFA record on the flyrod for Bluefin tuna than go with a minimum of a 15 wtg. blank.  I would prefer an 8-8.5 foot 1-piece blank if you can find one.  Most 15+ wtg. blanks are multi piece.  Again, the rod is not  casting tool, it's strictly for lifting and fish fighting.  You will need a reel with the largest line capacity and an exceptionally smooth drag.  Consider Charlton, Abel and Tibor.  However, I am sure there are other comparable reels available.  

Al

Thats why if this Guy is wanting to cast two hands then he will need all the help he can get with a correctly sized lower handle.  We should not call sticks like this fly rods. They are really line class boat rods which are used to flop out a fly mostly out the back of a sports boat. Makes me smile when the rules demand that a fly rod has to be recognised as a fly rod and not say a spinning rod with a fly line and fly attached. It is kinda fly fishing but at the same time its not. Not quite sure of the motives fishing this way. 

Mike

i  did it a few times with a prototype 16-18 wtg. from Lamiglas about ten years ago.  We backed down in front of a dragger near The Dip off Montauk and flipped the fly to breaking tuna.  Two strips and you were hooked up.  These fish were 60-80 lb yellowfin.  The last part of the fight is bringing them up from their death spiral.  That's why you need the lifting power.  Mike, you are correct,  an 18 wtg. blank is like fishing a heavy live bait spinning rod with a fly reel on it.