Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Al Goldberg

Happy November 1st Everyone

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Well it's November first. The last few mornings have been cool, crisp and breezy up here in the hills of the Hudson Valley. I finished two more tog sticks this morning putting on the final coat of finish. That's five done and three more to go over the next two weeks. Then that's it for this year.

Hurray!!!! I even got Crazy's Yak Rod done.

I am chasing those chisel toothed critters on Friday out of Orient. Will post a report on how we did over the weekend.

It's looks like the Westcoast AllTackle Board has taken our lead and started a rodbuilding board of their own. Thanks guys for all the support and participation on this board.

The westcoast boys have a bunch of very knowledgable builders out there and I have picked up alot of good information off the the regular Tackle Board.

Tight Lines,

Al G.

Happy November to you too, Al. Three more rods and you're finished for the season. What about the rest of November, December, January, February and March? Heck, by mid-December I'll just be pulling a couple of blanks out of their plastic bags. You plan on wintering over down south or something?

Oh yeah, and what's a Crazy Yak rod. As in kayak rod? Spinning, fly or conventional. The inquiring public needs to know. Just thinking about that guy adding another weapon to his arsenal makes me shudder.

Al, did you see the pictures from the Orlando Rodcrafters Seminar? Somebody took photos, and put them up on a website. http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293438985. There are some amazing pictures of grip inlays and butt wraps in pictures 44-54?

They are really impressive. Al, do you happen to know who did these? I've seen a couple of Bernie Cohen's rods on the Flamingo, which featured red/black checkerboard throughout the entire rod - really sweet, but these are truly unbelievable. I also heard Bernie just finished a rod which contained weaves of a bunch of flags, on both sides of the rods. Have you seen or heard about it?

To Mark,

Crazy's Kayak rod is a six foot heavy spinning rod rated for 1-3 ounces that will double as an inshore tog rod for fishing close to shore honey holes that the Crazy Man has pinpointed. It was set up for spinning since he needed the waterproof capability of a Van Staal reel.

November, December and January are reserved for me to build my own arsenal of new rods for next year, to prepare for the January and March Rodcrafter seminars and also to prepare for the shows I will be attending and exhibiting at over the winter. I still have the tog season and then the holidays as well. Then there is work, what's that?

To Billy,

Yes, I saw the photos of the Orlando seminar. I was invited down there to speak but I couldn't get away. However, I will be there next year. I was there two years ago and had a great time. South Florida is the cradle of custom rod building and they have some awesome builders down there.

Bernie Cohen was my first student of rod building many years ago. He is the Michaelangelo of rod building. I created a true monster.

If you really want to blow your mind, come out to Montauk next year for one of my Rodcrafter fishing weekends. We had 30 rodcrafters up last year and chartered five boats for three days. When we got back to Gone Fishing Marina and unloaed all our gear, we lined up all the rods on the fuel dock to hose them down. Besides looking like a jungle, the high rollers on the dock were dumbstruck by the craftsmanship of the rods. Now that's advertising.

Al G.

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 11-01-2000).]

Billy,

Thanks for posting that link. I really enjoyed checking out the pics from the Orlando show. Certainly got me more pumped up about going to the Allentown show next March.

Mark,

I have a bunch of prototype blanks from Loomis and Lamiglas. All are composites from light inshore to stand up tuna blanks.

Off the top of my head here is a short list but not complete:

8 foot conventional casting 1/2-1.5 ounces

6.5 foot Loomis Hybrid for chunking and eeling from a boat.

6.5 foot composite 10-20 lb inshore rod for fluke and sea bass.

7 foot composite 10-25 lb. inshore rod also for plugging from a boat. (1-2 ounces)

9 foot composite, either spinning or conventional for extreme surfcasting. i.e. wetsuiting at Montauk for bucktails and eels.

6 foot 50-80 lb Loomis Hybrid for stand up tuna (This is a show rod, since I retired from offshore fishing. 15 years was enough.)

10 foot L.I. Sound reaching rod set up for spinning, 10-20 lb test 3/4-2 ounce lures.

This will also be a show rod. I built one for Brian Mulholland a few years ago and he outcasted everyone on the beach to reach the albies.

There are more, but I just can't remember right now.

Al G.

Hello, Hello...

And what is this about my "Crazy" yak rod??? biggrin.gif

Oh boya... I can't wait to try it out!

Thanks Al. I will see you next week at the dinner event!

Later dude!

Hey Mark... next time you are in town... I will take you to Mr. Al Goldberg's "room"... If you think I have lots of toys... wait until you see Al G's work station. eek.gif

"Crazy" Alberto

Al,

Nice short list of winter arsenal additions.

When and if it's appropriate, I'd like to get more info on the composite blanks you'll be using/evaluating.

My winter projects include:

Loomis SW108-25 conventional Great for plugging and eeling

Loomis SW84-20 conventional DITTO

Loomis SU1142 spinning, light plugging

Loomis SU965 spinning, light in-shore

Lami G100 series 844 popping rod/spinning

Lami certified pro 844/2 piece spinning

Lami 1322ML conventional

Loomis MB843 bait casting A personal favorite

Loomis SJ843 spinning

Loomis F108/10 GL3 fly

St. Croix IV 8 wt. fly

4 of the above are Christmas presents for family and friends.

If I get through half of the projects listed above, I'll be happy.

As you might have guessed, I do alot of freshwater fishing as well.

Crazy,

As you know, I'm like a kid in a candy store when it comes to checking out people's toy rooms. Always makes me feel a little better about my own tackleholic condition. I'll remember to add another half day to my next visit there in order to have plenty of drool time.

Cheers, Mark

I will line the floor of the shop will lots of newspaper so the floor won't get slippery from the drools between Crazy and you.

Al G.

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 11-02-2000).]