Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MarkL

Loomis Grip

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I may be in the minority, but I like the gortex? grip on the G. Loomis surf rods. Does anyone know what it is and how to imitate it. I thought Herculiner for truck beds might work.

I have decided to go custom but i'm not ready to give in to cork tape.

[This message has been edited by MarkL (edited 11-05-2001).]

Mark,

3M non-skid safety tape, medium grade, is what you want. You can get it at most good hardware stores.

You apply the tape just like you would cprk tape since it has an adhesive backing.

Al

Well it's not Gore-Tex; that's a waterproof fabric wink.gif If you're referring to what's on the butt section of most of their surf rods, it's a a very aggressively textured rubberized tape which is spiraled over a base layer of cork tape, according to the gent who's company wraps most of Loomis's surf stuff. There have been previous inquiries on this but I do not think anyone's ever nailed down a source for an exact match for the product.

Ooooops. Al posted while I was still typing. Al, is that an exact match, for sure? Good deal, if so, as I know several people were interested in that. Not me, though; I get visions of hands turing into something looking like raw hamburger gripping that stuff thru long hours in the wet and cold cwm24.gif

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 11-05-2001).]

Thanks guys, the rod was wrapped so good, I thought they dip the butt sections in some kind of goop. I'll check out the 3M tape and see how it matches up.

Another question...has any one ever used real cork (not tape) for a handle. Either by using cork rings or finding a long piece of stock. Any plus or negatives.

9.5' Surf Stick so that may be alot of cork $$$ frown.gif

[This message has been edited by MarkL (edited 11-05-2001).]

I have a number of casting rods with cork grips and they really get chewed up over the years.

Long preformed grips would be hard to find and would be very costly to do with cork rings. You probably would need a butt length of 25 inches, which would be approximately 50 rings. Then you would also need rings for the foregrip.

Al

3M Non Skid tape. Go to Home Depot. Somewhere in the middle of the store near painting is a tape rack with 31 flavors of packing tape. Somewhere in there are 60' foot rools of the stuff you want in utilitarian grey. $.57/ft. About 8 feet needed for a surf rod. If you want it in black, www.bad-fish.com has it. You put down the cork tape first, then the non skid. Finish with heat shrink or self sealing tape. Or a mile of electric tape if you want to be styling in Montauk.... Looks pretty sharp with gray in the wraps. Hell on bare skin. Scales/slime don't stick.

[This message has been edited by Triet (edited 11-05-2001).]

Bill,

Like I said before, you want the medium grade. I sent some of this stuff down to Artie Hebert in Texas and he subsequently wiped me out.

Good stuff.

Al

Al,

Didnt Merrick Tackle have the Loomis stuff in the 2001 catalog? I cant find mine right now but I thought it was in there.....

how are the togs?

The tog are starting out East. Fish to ten pounds on rocky bottom at 75 feet. Nothing on the deeper wrecks yet. Give it another week to cool down.

I spent last night watching the world series and was tying up a bunch of rigs for this coming weekend. I have Crazy Al coming with me so I will have my hands full.

Al

i have built two rods, both on the all star 1088 blank, with the 3M tape. i highly recommend it! the first rod was a conventional that i built back in june, and the second was a spinning i finished off in october. the only draw back to the tape is that it can do a number on the inside of your waders where the butt of the rod is placed. i solved this problem by coating my waders with silicone. i used some electrical heat shrink tubing on the ends, which i coated with epoxy after the tubing cooled. good luck with it.

------------------

Here's ta swimmin, with bo-legged women!!!

The fish are staring to show in Buzzards Bay now. I put the boat away so I have to fish with a buddy who keeps his out year round. Plan on cod fishing jeffreys ledge out of Rockport Ma (5 to 8 mile run)soon also.

Great cod rod article. I have a SB121#M that I cut back last year and wrapped but never coated. Guess I have to get off my butt now!

Good Luck in the Tog Tourny!

Bill