Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fisher1630

Tica with a busted guide

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Well I busted 2 guides the other day on my tica 8' rod. After doing a search I see this is a common problem but could not find the size in which to replace them with. Could anyone recommend guids for my tica and a new tip. I have never built a rod before but do have a book on it, any recommendation for threads, guide sizes and brands, and epoxy to use is greatly appreciated.

I busted a guide on an 8 ft Tica just 2 weeks ago. I repaired it myself but didn't really care the style of guide, just the ring size since I was in the process of moving it to a backup now that I have just started building my own rods. I think the guides on my tica went something like 40 stripper then 25, 16...down to 10s or 8s. Not really sure, but what I did was removed the broken guide and went to a shop and bought a replacement the same size. This is definitely a job you can do yourself if you want and could be a good segway into building your own rods. The Tica rods make a decent blank for the money but the guides suck as far as I am concerned. Good luck.

I had the same problem with a Tica rod. I bought the same size guide, cut out the ceramic ring with a dremel and epoxied it into the existing guide. Unless you look really close you can't tell its been repaired and this method is a lot faster than rewrapping.

Strip the whole thing and rebuild it over the winter with better guides ( do it yourself, choose the guides yourself)...My first build was a rebuild of a junk St Croix Ben Doerr. I'm not sure if the "Tica" is worthy of a rebuild? But it WILL work much better next year if you rebuild it yourself....next year it'll be "your" rod not Tica's. Makes a difference when you fish.

To determine the number of guides required for a rod blank by its lenght in difficult, almost impossible. The basic premise of 1 guide per foot less one for handle assemble works much of the time. There are so many factors in determining the number of guides needed. Action, power, type reel used all play a factor in guide location and number. Tica is a decent blank to rebuild. I have done a few of them with super results. I find it much less expensive to rebuild a rod than buy a blank.

Austin