Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jack Vicious

3tand versus VS fly reels

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Looking to upgrade to a bullet proof saltwater fly reel... Just wondering what the opinions of the masses is on SOL...I know both reels were deSigned by the vs guy. .. I understand that the VS is discontinued. .. and they seem around the same price for the 9-11wt reel... is the 3tand as waterproof as the VS... should I look elsewhere for a different reel.... Any suggestions or insight would be appreciated

Jack. 3tands are really amazing reels. Basically bullet proof. I have spent a ton of time beating both 3 tand and cheeky fly reels up. They are both very equally matched in all areas and both reels are completely waterproof. I fish year round and do a ton of winter steelheading in sub freezing temps and neither reel has had a problem. I also have spent extensive time with both in the salt and both have performed flawlessly ... Both these reel companies are the two to watch out for

I haven't had the opportunity to handle a 3tand yet, but I can tell you that if they're even equivalent to the VS, they are a keeper. Just a reminder- while C-Vex's are no longer being produced, they are still available if you look around a bit. :) With that said, I'd strongly recommend a hard look at Hatch for a bulletproof sealed drag reel from a very strong, supportive US company.

I own four C/vex offerings, oldest is going on 13 seasons and a lot of fish. Cold water rinse only never any service needed. Drag on the Hatch is as good but the frame is no where as durable.  VS stopped production on the C/Vex due to "lack of profitability".  The supply is fast drying up.  A fantastic reel.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 3-Tand's. Its designed by the same guy who created the C-vex and I see similar, if not superior quality out of my T-70 and T-100 I picked up last spring. No hick-ups to speak of yet. Brought them to the Great lakes for Kings and steel, Christmas Island for bones, and hit bass, blues and Albies throughout the course of the year.

Smooth drag, a ton of stopping power and fairly light weight for the quality of the product. I worked in a fly shop for 7 years and have see a large percentage of the fly reels manufactured over that time. I own Abels, Tibors, and Hatch reels, and I feel like these reels have the same bulletproof qualities as a the sealed drag reels that are nearly double the price. End of the day, my opinion is that they produce an impressive product for the price. 

Nice looking reel but at 3 1/2" diameter for the T-70 & T-90 , #8 to #10 lines is a little too inefficient for salt water speedsters in my opinion. just saying !

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulletdredge View Post

Have you seen the width of the spool? No need for any larger diameter!!

Exactly my point ! Line recovery efficiency has no relation to the width of the spool whatsoever. A wide spool is useless IMO and a PITA constantly stacking the line unevenly and ultimately jamming the line against the frame upon full recovery , if you like to fill the reel to its maximum capacity with backing. Unless of course you constantly monitor it and level wind with your finger to keep it stacked evenly across the spool, which is why I think they are a PITA.

Are you guys sure the Van Staal C Vex is no longer being produced.  It looks like the company that owns zebco bought them and is producing and servicing at the Zebco facility in Tulsa, OK.

From what I heard the C/Vex was dropped in early 2013 "as being no longer profitable to market".  Did I call to verify, no.

I actually spoke with Craig Cantelmo last week. C-Vexs are NOT being produced anymore due to the market conditions. All I have to say is get them while you can because if you have one, you will wish you had three soon. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Factor View Post

I actually spoke with Craig Cantelmo last week. C-Vexs are NOT being produced anymore due to the market conditions. All I have to say is get them while you can because if you have one, you will wish you had three soon. wink.gif

You can never tell what will come in a few years, good gets better   Charlton 8550c with offshore spool

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulletdredge View Post

Jack. 3tands are really amazing reels. Basically bullet proof. I have spent a ton of time beating both 3 tand and cheeky fly reels up. They are both very equally matched in all areas and both reels are completely waterproof. I fish year round and do a ton of winter steelheading in sub freezing temps and neither reel has had a problem. I also have spent extensive time with both in the salt and both have performed flawlessly ... Both these reel companies are the two to watch out for

mulletdrege is right, the 3-tans lineup is phenomenal. I fish primarily Cheeky's and Allen's but those 3-Tands will have a seat in the lineup soon enough. The company was started by one of the VS guys, he brought along the ideas that formulated VS's amazing reels today. And you really cannot beat the price!