Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Al Goldberg

Rod Building Series of Articles

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I have spoken to the SOL powers and have agreed to post a series of rod building articles on the fundementals. I am doing this for two reasons: the first is that this can be a reference for you; and the second is that there have been alot of repeated questions posted on the board. Please use the search function in the future to try and find the answer to your question.

I will not cover fancy threadwork. If anyone is interested in that then pick up a copy of Clemens Custom Thread Art and have a good time.

There will be four articles as follows:

- Blank selection and grip measurement and

assembly.

- Spining the blank, guide selection and

preparation.

- Postioning and wrapping the guides.

- Finishing steps.

I will start working on the first article and try to get it to Tim by the weekend.

Happy Wrapping,

Al

Al,

Thanks. Thats a great idea...a reference source would be excellent!!! It's hard to remember all that good stuff.

This way we can pick your brain on more arcane and esoteric matterssmile.gif

ps It was good to meet you at Somerset!!

Bob,

It was good to meet you to.

Part I will be on blank selection. I will cover all the various blank materials, graphite, eglass, sglass and composites.

In addition, I will cover both surf rod and boat rod blank selection tips.

Al

Al,

It's really gonna be beneficial to everyone that uses this site to have another point of referrence quickly available without posing a question on the board or using the search. smile.gif And it'll be a whole lot faster after i print them out and leave them in the workshop!! biggrin.gif

HI, Al. I was wondering if you know where to find the Clemens Custom Thread Art book. I've been looking, but it seems everyone is out. Is this book out of production?

thx

Hi Guys,

Well, the "soup is done". I just emailed Tim the final draft of the article on Blank Selection. Thank you Mully for the editorial "trim and tuck" and the your added thoughts. I hope everyone enjoys it.

Now it's on to Part 2, Spining the Blank, Handle Assembly and Guide Selection and Preparation.

Al

P.S. It's blowing a gale up here this morning. I needed ten pounds of lead in each of my back pockets to walk to my office from the parking lot. Someone PLEEEEZ Turn Off the Fan. Ugh!!!!

[This message has been edited by Al Goldberg (edited 03-23-2001).]

Hi Guys,

Part 1 is up now in the articles section. Part 2 is in editing right now and should be up in a few days.

I spent the weekend in the shop working on rods since the weather was pretty miserable. I went out to do errands both Saturday and Sunday morning and ran into freezing rain. Ah Springtime.

Al