Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duckwump

Which Hand Wrapper?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hi Folks: This is my first post to surftalk but I have been lurking around long enough to see that this and Stripersonline is a great resource for fishermen (and fisherwomen) around the Country. I have a couple of questions about rod building that I could use some help on.

I have built a couple of surf rods using a small netcraft economy wrapper (basically a small C clamp with a thread tensioner). This requires that I hold the blank in my hands at all times which can be pretty tiring if you are wrapping a ferrule on a 12 foot rod with A thread! I also suspect it makes it harder to add trim wraps.

I would like to move up to a hand wrapper which supports the blank but I am unsure of which one to get. Right now I am looking at the Flexcoat, Cabelas, and Angler's workshop hand wrappers.

I am leaning towards the cabela's wrapper because the rod extension support is built in and because Cabela makes a relatively cheap ($20) 4 rm drying motor which fits in the wrapping machine. To my untrained eye, the threat tensioners look to be about the same.

I think the pricing on all three roughly comparable ($50-$60).

Which one of the three would you recommend?

Also, is the cabela's 4 RPM drying motor too slow (I use Duragloss LS200)?

Are there other handwrappers you can recommend?

I have some additional rod build questions but I will post them later. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Tom aka Duckwump

Tom,

The Cabela's hand wrapper is fine. Just make sure you buy an extra support V block to work on long surf rods.

The 4 rpm finishing motor is okay. However, I would seriously consider getting the Flexcoat 18 rpm finishing motor. It's much easier to apply the finish.

Al

Tom; You can make your own v-blocks all you need is some scrap wood,ajig saw, and some felt strips from a hardware store,for tension you can use the cup & book trick.

I like the higher RPM motor for drying also.

Thanks for the advice.

I also saw two set ups that might work better for me since they are "flatter" and would allow me to wrap from a sitting position.

One was the Clemens versatle jig. The other was a rod wrap kit from Netcraft which consited of three clamps with the two end clamps having rollers and the middle clamp have a thread tensioner. These clamps would be fitted on a table.

Are these two wrappers OK?

Also, what are the advantages of an 18 RPM drying motor over a 4 RPM drying motor.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Tom