Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimA

Dumb question on motors

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Do you guys use 2 motors, one to spin the rod when wrapping and the other for drying? Im thinking on buying a sewing machine motor with the foot petal but Im not sure if I can use it as a drying motor. Can it be turned on constantly without stepping on the pedal? I guess if I only had one, Id rather a drying motor that would work well enough for wrapping. This question seems silly to me because Im sure there is an easy answer that IM just missing.

The drying motor is a constant speed motor while the wrapping motor is a variable speed motor.

I recommend that you get both. The finishing motor can be purchased from one of the closeout sites for less than $5. The wrapping motor and foot pedal will run around $60.

Thanks Al, but Im not sure of where to get a motor for $5. Ive seen them for around $25 at the lowest. Maybe I should just start with one for now anyway, Ive wrapped all the others by hand, just couldnt imagine drying by hand.

Would someone be kind enough to board mail the location to find a variable speed motor for $60... I haven't seen them for that price & I need one. Thanks.

For a sewing machine motor, look in the yellow pages for a sewing machine repair shop. Ask them for a "generic sewing machine motor with foot control". I just paid $30 for mine complete with all the wires and plugs(even one to plug in a light).

For the drying motor look at www.allelectronics.com

gad

what Gad said, but make sure you get on that you cna use. What I mean by this is make sure it is anywher from 4-20 RPM and has a shaft that you can adapt to a rod somehow. If you see one you're considering, post the link and we'll look at it. If you find one that works, get a couple. Your gonna pay to ship one, for an extra $4 get a second.

Keep looking around till you find what you need. Just don't outbid me on EBAY, OK?

I just bought 4 8RPM's from the above link for $20 w/ shipping, I had 4 40RPM's, I picked p a 1/4HP motor off EBAY for $30 with shipping, and am hoping to get another 1/10 HP for wrapping.

REmember, don't outbid vivonab@colsonservices.com, OK?

8 RPM, 24 VAC GEAR MOTOR

Synchron # 36038L-24. 8 RPM gear motor. Operates on 24 Vac, 6 Watts. Pear-shaped motor body is 1.95" x 2.37" x 1.34" thick. 3/16" diameter flatted shaft is 0.93" long and has a 0.31" diameter x 0.33" long bushing at it's base. 10" wire leads. 2" mounting centers.

CAT# ACM-118

Your Price: $3.50 each

this may be the motor he was talking about . do a search on the model # .

[This message has been edited by chris L (edited 02-04-2003).]