Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
santacruzer

Rod Building Book Recommendations

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

It's been a few years since I have built a rod (and only fly rods at that) and feel I would like to bone up on some tactics before starting. Is there a rod building book out there that has reached "Bible" status with most rod builders? The blank will be the Arra 1321-2.

Also I would appreciate any general input or comments. I'll probably post about 100 more times before I get it finished. Thanks a lot!!

Paul

For basic nuts and bolts of Building, Tom Kirkman's book keeps it simple and straight forward (which is good for me as a total beginner). For the more encyclopedic reference on rod building, Dale Clemens book.

I'd say Dale Clemens' book "The New Advanced Custom Rod Building" is still the bible. Very detailed and easy to follow. I would also get Tom Kirkman's book "Rod-Building Guide" because it updates some of the materials and talks about newer theories of rod building since Clemens' time.

Have fun.

I'd also like to mention that there are several videos available. Some in DVD format and some in VHS. Doc Ski has several, Artie Hebert and Ken Preston do also. John