Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassHunter

Sabre 1088

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I saw this rod for 109.99. Is that a fair price? I could have sworn I saw it for like $95, but can't remember where. Maybe I made it up? LOL.

Anyway, this will be the rod I'm going to be building. How many guides should I put on this rod? This gets me nervous. The guides will get me jittery! I really haven't gotten a strait answer from the tackle shop guys, some say this # others say this #. SI there a certain spacing I should follow?

I will be using this as a jetty rod, tossing rigged eels, bucktails, and big lures. I will be using braid.

Need anymore info?

Thanks alot. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Basshunter,

I have never built on this blank, but many SOL members have or purchased one from a reputable builder. I am sure some will post the guide spacing.

However, I will take a shot at it.

If it's conventional I would use Fuji BHNLG guides in the following sizes: 20, 16, 16, 12, 12, 10, 10, 10 plus a UST SIC tip.

If it's for spinning then Fuji BSVLG guides as follows: 40HH, 40, 30, 20, 16, 12 plus tip.

For conventiional place the stripper guide 28 inches from the center of the reelseat.

For spinning place the stripper guide 42 inches from the center of the seat.

Check previous threads on guide spacing.

Al G.

This'll sound weird but it will work like gangbusters. I read up on the Fuji Guide concept system in the last magazine and built a similar rod with a 40, 25, 16, 12 and then 10, 10, 10 and 10 top on out and it is one heck of a sweet spinning rig. I won't go through all the guide sizes anymore. You can drop down quickly to the smallest size you plan on using and be amazed at the results. Just remember that you have to allow a large enough guide size to pass shock leader knots if they are in use.

Ryan, it's a fair price but not a great one. If you want to wait a bit, when Mike T re-opens around the hoildays, I'm sure you can save at least $30 over that price. He can also sell you the complete kit to build the rod, with the guide spacing he uses marked with grease pencil on the blank. He uses a 25 mm stripper guide and sizes them down to a 10 mm The rod wil also work well with a 20 mm stripper.

Fish-n-finaddicts in Edison also has the Sabre blanks, I think they get around $80 for them.

Wow! To me, I would pay WAY to much! Mike T owns what shop? He is www.**********.com right? How long will he stay open after the holidays? I will probably have the money in late Jan. or early Feb. will he be open around then?

Thanks alot! I like the idea of the penciled in guide locations!!

Hey is there a way I can "fit" the butt of the rod to my hight or arm length? Would this better suit me, such as casting more corfortably? If so how would it be done? Is there an advantage to having a shorter or longer rod butt?

Thanks for any help.

Bass Hunter:

$109 is WAY too much for this rod! Call up Fishin Finattics in Edison(1-800 673-3474). He sells the blank for about $80. He will also give you staring guide spacings. The right guide set for this rod is 20,16,12,12,10,10,8,8,. You may want to use 9 guides so pick up an extra 8 and an extra 10 and see how it lays out. Scott will be able to assist you here as he has built alot of these rods. The rod has a size 6.5 or 7 tip. You should be able to get all the parts you need to build this rod for les than $110, not just the blank. I use the wide ring heavy duty hardaloys for this rod as they take more abuse.

Thanks! Nice. I'll definatly give them a call! Awesome! I didn't like the shop i saw the blank for in anyway. The guy didn't seem real concerned with me, guess he figured I was just 'looking' biggrin.gif Thanks again!!!!!! biggrin.gif