Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saltheart

Rod wrappers

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi Al , Hope the show went well this weekend.

My question is about rod wrappers. I see some that are just little rollers attached to a table for $25. Then there are ones with a wooden base and v blocks lined with felt for %50. Then there are some long wooden ones with felt v blocks for $150. Then there are power wrappers like the Flexcoat and the Rodsmith for $250-300. Whats needed for bare minimum and low price aand which of the full feature power wrappers do you like best.

Salt,

If you are just going to do one ore two rods a year then you can make your own or buy a hand wrapper. If you are doing surf rods then you need several V blocks to support the rod. The thread tension device is easy enough to make. However, I would definitely invest in a rod finishing motor set up which runs about $65. I like the 18 rpm motors.

If you plan to do ten or more rods a year, and you have both the space and budget for it, I highly recommend the Clemens power wrapping lathe. You are looking at a $600-$800 investment depending on the accessories chosen, but it's the best one out there. When you factor in the number of rods you will do over a five year period then the cost is very reasonable considering the wrapping time saved and the great results achieved.

Al

Salt,

The basic set up has two four-foot aluminum bed sections that clamp together. You can add another four foot extension to be able to wrap the longer surf rods. I have a 12 foot bed.

If you are serious about getting one please feel free to contact me off-line to discuss.

Al

P.S. The seminar was great. Lots of new faces. We had a spirited discussion on surf rods for the Cape Cod Canal. I will have the photos posted shortly.

How do coasters/rollers compare to felt V Chocks?

I am trying to decide between buying the netcraft budget wrapper (with rollers), the flex coat handwrapper, or building my own handwrapper.

Thanks Duckwump

Duck,

The rollers will work a little smoother. However, if you plan a wrapping a surf rod than you will need more then two sets of rollers or V blocks.

Al