Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mark

Graphite USA, look great, are they?

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Al,

This is my third strike, then I'm out until next Monday.

My question is about blanks from Graphite USA. I had a chance to poke one around at a friend's house and it looked and felt fantastic. Graphite USA promotes their stuff as the strongest most durable graphite blanks on the market.

Have you had a chance to work with Graphite USA blanks and, if so, what's your take on them?

Thanks, Mark

Hello Mark,

You get two for the price of one.

Spining multi-piece blanks have been challenge up until now, particular the butt sections. However, Clemens has recently introduced a tool called a "vertical spine finder" that is real slick. With it you can quickly spine multi-piece rods. As long as you spine the forward sections properly and align them, then you should be fine since the butt section hard flexes.

I have not yet had the opportunity to build on a Graphite USA blank. I have heard very good things about them from fellow rod builders on the westcoast. I hope I have the opportunity to build one this year.

Al

Al,

Thank you ever so kindly for your responses. I suppose I did get a bit carried away with all the questions, but, like I said, they'll get lost in the gray matter if I don't get them out quickly.

I'll have to check into the vertical spin finder. Sounds like a tool to have in the shop.

Mark

Mark, I have been signing the praises of Graphite USA blanks to Florida rod builders for a while now and everyone who has put one in his hand loves them. What can I say, I my opinion the best blanks for spinning and casting outfits 25# test and less, bring on the GLX, GL3, the GUSA is just as light but ooooh so tough and powerful. Breakage is unheard of. As a demonstration I'll lay one on the bare concrete floor and proceed to jump my 6'7" 300# body up and down on it with hard sole shoes, pick the blank up and fish with it, no problems! Yet to blanks are sensitive enough to feel slightest bit and cast the lightest lures.

The fit and finish is unsurpassed, straight as an arrow, beautiful actions and available in green, red and blue finishes besides the gloss black. In the heavier actions the B79MAG is one sweet blank, on the lighter side the B70M is great while the newer 70LMXFW is as good a light casting blank you'll find.

My 2 cents, since catching a 30# snook with one in the jetties, I kind of feel in love with them.

Tom McNamara

Mud Hole Custom Tackle http://www.mudhole.com

Tom,

Thanks for your response. With all the great things I've heard about GUSA blanks, I'll have to build one for myself this year. I appreciate the tips on blank models as well. Do you know if they only sell as blanks for rod building or do they also make OEM blanks for other companies to build and label as house rods?

Regards, Mark