Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Saltheart

Resting the epoxy

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Salt,

Good timing. I just finished a rod last night and will be casting it tommorow evening. That's almost 48 hrs. I think Al and most will say that's not long enough, but I'm impatient. Of course some of this will have to due with the curing environment. A warm dry place speeds the curing. I use LS Supreme. The instructions enclosed say "ready for use in 24 hrs, fully cured in 5 days." I think the normal recomendation is 3-5 days.

AL?

Gonna chime in here, with an observation or 2.

I used to use a newly built rod after the "ready to use time".I quit doing it because I kept having checking and cracking around the guide feet.

I did a number of other things as well,went to a more flexable guide,started using the color preserver made by the maker of the finish.

Filed/ground the guide feet down thinner.

I didn't completely eliminate the checking/crazing but reduced it to an acceptable minimum.

When I finish a rod it goes in my backporch horizontally for a minimum of 7 days before it's even flexed.Not necessary maybe just the way I do it. Neil

Geez,

wanting to use a rod that was just coated is like wanting to open a present that is on the counter before it is your birthday!!!!

OX I just finished the rainshadow 1208 "dancing queen" and stuck it on the spare rod wrapper to sit for a spell. I WILL NOT FLEX FOR A WEEK!!!! I did flex a 7ft trolling rod the day after I coated it 24-36hrs and had cracking on the guide feet. Stupid me! Al set me straight.

Ox you coming to the canal for the sluggo thing? June 22!!!

Billy