Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Breezy Kid

GSB1081L

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hi Al, Im thinkin of getting a GSB1081L for bombers and mambos. Do you think this is the best blank for this? I would use mono, not sure what reel. Also are the blem blanks at Mudhole worth it or not, whats wrong with the blanks to be a blem? Thanks :-}

Breezy,

With all the time and effort going into making a rod, the dollars you will save with a blem will come back to bite you should the rod break. At least with a 1st quality blank you have a replacement warranty. Typically these blanks can have a range of issues from cosmetic imperfections to serious structural problems that are not readily visable.

The GSB1081L is an excellent rod for that application as well as the XRA1083.

Al

Breezy,

Al is correct. I snapped a XRA1083 blem while trying to spine it. For whatever reason, the rod was so brittle, you could snap it like a pencil. I have built some great rods on blems, but have also seen the bad side of it. It is certainly a risk. The only way I buy blems is if I can pick thru a bunch. Buying them without being able to inspect them is tricky. Even though you can send them back to Mudhole, the only one making out is the courier.

Breezy,

Try to come to my winter workshop. We will be having a fleamarket with lots of blanks and other goodies at great prices. We will have blems as well as discontinued models of 1st quality blanks with a full manufacturers warranty. I am sure you will be able to find what you are looking for.

Al

Breezy,

I am wait to confirm the place and date for a Saturday in January on Long Island. As soon as I firm it up I will post all the details on the Board.

Al