Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael P

Advice/direction needed

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Al, I have been on the lookout for a particular type of rod for some time now. I enjoy fishing for weakfish starting mid-summer at night and I need a LONG (10 - 11') light rod that I can hang a reel sized about that of a Penn 4400 or 5500. The rod will need to handle small plugs and jigs for 1/2 - to perhaps 1 1/4 ounces and still be light enough to be fun, yet not so whimpy that it can't offer me the muscle to handle bigger fish (10+ lbs). I've seen guys with rods like I think I want, but the shadows of the middle of the night tend to not offer up opportunities to talk to guys I don't know. An off the shelf rod would be fine for me in this case, as I have an inexpensive Diawa amongst the arsenal of Loomis and Lami's that is ALMOST perfect, a foot too short and a tad light. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Mike,

There are many excellent 10-11 foot production steelhead rods that are perfect for that application. Cabelas puts out there own private label rod for less than $100. If you want to go better then check out both Loomis and Lami.

Al

Thanks Al, I'll look up the specs on the Cabelas rod. I've pretty much gone through most of the Lami line and have not found the right one. I even bought a Lami from their closeout list, a salmon stick, that I thought was going to be the real deal. Now that I've got it it will be a dust collector unless I go out west. The handle and guides are all wrong! Nice blank though, in my more adventuresome days when I had some time I may have stripped it down and modified it accordingly. maybe someday I will still!

Mike,

You are correct, Lami does not make a spinning steelhead rod in that length. They are all conventional. I do believe that Cabelas carries them in spinning though.

Al

The Cabelas XML Steelhead blank GST 1004 is 10' 8-15lb 3/8-1 and is $92.99. The GST 1006 is 10' 10-20lb 1/2-2 and is the same price. They have these in a complete kit for $98.99. Not sure of the quality of the components but for an extra $6 it's probably worth it just for spare parts. Anyone have any experience with these rods? MIKE