Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hrf_1

Stinger Rig?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hi Al,

I would like to add a second hook to a SPRO(see photo) jig for fluke. What do I need to get for the second hook.. Do I need a tube to hold the hook on, or can I open then crimp a hook eye to work. How is the tube put on and can the eye some over the barb of the first hook.

PS what hook would you use for the trailer.

I asked you this before, but are you going to be at the Rockland Show in March-I would like to thank you for the fluke rig you sent me in the mail...IT WAS GREAT

FLUKEJIG.jpg

Interesting idea. I also rig my fluke rigs with a stinger hook, but I make the rig that way.

Here is the simplest way to rig the SPRO bucktail with a stinger hook. Get a small black snap swivel with the swivel eye a little smaller than the diameter of the bucktail hook at the barb. Carefully and gently sweeze the barb just a little to allow you to pass the barb throught the eye of the swivel. Then carefully open up the barb to it's original position to prevent the snap swivel from backing off.

Use a longshank O"Shaunessey or a spinnerbait hook in stainless or nickel, 4/0 or 5/0, and attach it with the snap through the eye of the hook. You will not need the tubing.

I plan to attend the Rockland Show Thursday

afternoon on opening day, March 6th. Please let me know if you plan to be there then so we can connect.

Al

I have been putting stinger hooks on a bait rig I use for stipers and blues and with some success. My rig is a homemade imitation of a Sea Striker rig called the "bait bug" that I had had soime success with. I find that in making it my self I can use a flurocarbon leader and better quality hooks. As I recall the last times I did this I used either a Gamakatsu hook or an Owner hook. Both make stingers that come with the pastic tubing shown in the photo. You pot the tube over the circle at the back of the stinger hook and then run the lead hook through the tube and the hook eye. It makes the stinger far less likely to get pushed off the lead hook.