Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
topnbottomrig

Hard Leader Material

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Al,

I have the Owner SSW octopus cutting point hooks in 4/0 that you recomended I use for Tog on order. You also told me to Snell them with 50 or 60 # Hard Leader Material. Could you recomend where I can get this material. I would like to mail order some if possible as I live pretty far from the beach. I will drive for it if I have to though. Also what length leader do you recomend for these hooks? Thanks Again

topnbottomrig

[This message has been edited by topnbottomrig (edited 01-06-2002).]

Top,

You can order the leader material from Terminal Tackle, in Kings Park, NY. They come in 47 inch sticks. 100 sticks should be less than $10.

I like to use a tandem hook rig that you would use for fluke with the two hooks snelled approximately 4-inches apart.

Cut the 47-inch stick in half and snell up the two hook in tandem.

Measure approximately 15 inches up from the upper hook eye and clip the end of the leader.

Now tie a perfection loop. The total snell length should be about 12-inches.

Al

Topnbottomrig,

The hardest stiffest leader material I have used is manufactured by Mason. I'm not sure if you are only snelling or if your tying dropper loop rigs.If you are doing the latter 60lb will be too heavy to pull thru the eye of most blackfish hooks.

I don't have their tele# but look up Terminal Tackle in Kings Park N.Y. they also do mail order

Hope I helped

Frank

Thanks! Al and Frank,

I even have that catalog. I just wasn't sure that was the right stuff as it just says "mono" not "hard". I will get some ASAP. I am snelling the hooks and will try the double hook setup. Have you ever tried the "black" leader material? I wonder what thats for.

topnbottomrig

I tried the black. Use the clear. Better durability.

You can also use florocarbon leader when the fish are spooky and not in a heavy feeding mood. Saved many a slow day.