Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Replacement Rod for Loomis HBR70XX

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

A rod has disappeared from my inventory. The Loomis HRB70XX was a 7' rod with a woven graphite/graphite

blank, as close to a graphite crowbar as you'd get.

I used it for two thoroughly unrelated purposes; blackfishing with 12 - 20 oz. of lead, and jigging tuna with 8 oz. diamonds on the Viking Star. The guides were oddly small, but I never did pull one off the rod, and the thing was a beast in terms of lift, and incredibly sensitive when togging.

Somewhere this past year it walked out of my basement. I am not sure how or when, and I can't even say when I last saw it - since I started flyfishing, none of my bottom tackle gets much use.

I'd like to replace it, though, and the rod itself isn't in production. I am not current on high-end bottom tackle. I'd like to stay in the 6/5' - 7' range. Advice, please.

People sell them every once in a while. Check Ebay. Check the fishing flea markets. I see them a couple times a year. If you want to pay original list, I guarantee that you will have one within a month.

Original list??? Heck, no. I wil check out the St.Croix rods, though, I've heard of them from a couple of people.

Fished Friday off Orient with 20 oz of lead for blackfish. We caught (Rich Jensen, the Nancy Ann) well enough, but my Pacificstick really didn't like more then 16 oz of lead on the bitter end.

A nod of appreciation to the gentleman who suggested I look at the Seeker East Coast rod series. I bought a BF50 today, and expect it to be just fine for the use I make of it.

Meanwhile, I'm getting steamed up anew ... the rod walked out of my basement with a custom0tweaked Newell 540 on it. Damn ....

Brian

I remember Them That was the G loomis Hybrid series. That graphite weave was really slick looking. I wanted to use on of them for building

a rod but they didn't sell the blanks and ended up with Loomis Pelagic.

Basically you get what you paid for, The G. Loomis Hybrid was so good for the purposes you used it for because the blank was built totally different than anything before it and anything after it. The butt portion was graphite blended with woven graphite, then as you progress up the blank you merged into graphite only, as you went towards the tip, you went into glass, hence the name Hybrid.

Unless someone else builds a blank using methods similar to the Hybrid, you will not get the same performance. None mentioned on this posting will do the job the same as your old Hybrid.

The reason the Hybrid was so costly was that it was a long and difficult job to build it, because of the high cost, they sold few and therefore dropped the series.

I would hold out for someone to post one on Ebay and try to buy it.

I may look for it. The BR50 is a nice rod and an excellent value at $130 (opinion subject to modification after actual use) but it ain't the HBR.

I think it disappeared (with a customized Newell 540 attached, @$#$^*&@!) at the Viking dock. Last time I was there was with my nephew, two years ago, and we did leave the car unguarded while moving stuff too and fro at trip's end. That's the last time I am absolutely-positively sure I had it. I noticed it was gone just a few weeks ago .... and now the reel is missing too, and they don't stay mated once they're home. Oh, dammit anyway.