Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilbey

Plug Blank 3/4 to 2 ounces

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I am looking for a 9 1/2' blank to build a spinner for plugging 3/4 to a max of about 2 ounces. I have a Lami 1201L (conventional) and I like it (only fished it a couple times). But as a point of reference its a little heavier and beefy than I want for thie particular plugging rod. I have a factory Loomis 1032SUR that is terrific, but too lacks the backbone I need around jetties. Any thoughts on a St Croix or Lami blank that would fit this bill? Thanks in advance!

Alan

Something with backbone for a jetty is gonna be a little weak in casting at your low end. the ones that come to mind are the Lami Triflex CSB114 or the Allstar 1145/2. Both two piece rods BTW. I don't know anything about St Croixs.

Both the 1145 and 1087/2 are up to the task. The rods are really different from one another. Either one is a great choice. At this time I have not yet cast the Lami Tri so i cant comment on that rod. Big Dave

Lami GLB1081M is a nice light 1 pc 9ft blank that is rated for what you are looking for: Be able to handle the small light minnow type plugs yet be able to handle a pencil popper and maybe sling an eel?

I hear the patriot blanks are pretty cool. Big dave/ Sharon: Any input on these?

Billy

Thanks for the input folkssmile.gif! I often find that rods/blanks rated up to 2 ounces are pretty heavy. They seem like they would do okay with a 2 ounce popper, but too stiff to handle a 7/8 ounce Bomber. I am more likely to throw 7/8 and 1 ounce swimmers, but want something that can handle 1 1/2 or 2 ounces when I want it too. I am thinking I want a fairly fast action with a softish tip and some backbone in the lower half to mussle a fish around the rocks.

One of the problems is that there are no shops around me that carry blanks, and most only carry St Croix factory rods, so I can't feel any of the recommended blanks. Aside from the info from this board I am buying blind.

Batson Rainshadow or All Star 1087 would be just the ticket from your description of what you're looking for. The Batson only comes in 1 piece models, I think, with All Star you have a choice of 1 or 2 piece blanks.

Both go for under $100. The All Star is a little more expensive.

I have an older Sabre 1087 which is virtually identical in action to the Batson. 3/4 to 2 is perfect for that rod. I've thrown 1/2 oz without any problems. It has what I'd call a medium-fast taper with plenty of backbone.

You also have the Lami XS96MHS, its rated 3/4 to 3 and really whips the bombers. I've muscled fish from the rocks up to 19 LBS, with no problems. Its got a fast tip and loads very well at the lighter weights. Sweet spot is just about 2 oz, but labors if you get up towards 3. Its my go-to bomber/lighter plugging rod for down here in Jersey.