Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ahab7

Starting and Trimming a Cork Tape Grip

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I know there is a simple answer to this but it is eluding my feeble mind. When applying a cork tape grip (1) where do you start (at the reel seat or at butt end) and (2)how do you cut it straight at the reel seat.

I have a feeling you start at the butt and wind up to the seat and than try to trim it neatly. Any other tips on applying this material greatly appreciated.

Ahab,

First measure the length of the grip you want and mark the blank.

You can wrap in either direction. You want to wrap a little longer than what you need. Say two inches longer.

Now mark the cork tape to the proper length you want. Wrap the cork tape at that point with electrical tape so that the edge of the tape is on the butt side of the mark. The outer edge of the tape will be your trimming guide. Make sure you keep the edge straight.

Now carefully trim away the excess wrap using a single edge blade or exacto knife. Then clean off any residue on the blank.

To finish off the wrap I use a 2-inch piece of shrink tubing and slide it over the electrical tape wrap. Leave approximately 3/8 inch of shrink tube over the edge of the cork tape wrap. Using a heat gun or hair dryer slowly shrink the tubing. Make sure to keep it straight. The 3/8 inch lip will curl around the edge to give you a smooth edge.

Let it cool and proceed to glue on your reel seat. Your done.

Al, Thank you, so simple and your instruction is very clear. Even I can pull this one off!!! Again, thanks. This rod builders board is fantastic.

Paul