Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gilbey

Removing bumps in rod finish

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Last night with great anticipation I put the finish on my new fluke rod! I rigged up the turner I use for my epoxy flies to rotate the rod while it dried. I started at 8:30 or so, and when I turned in for the night at about 11:00 it was happily spinning away. Wouldn't you know it that my spinning wheel conked out at some point shortly thereaftercwm14.giffrown.gif! Upon the discovery when I yelled from downstairs this morning my wife thought the dog had eaten my fly tying gear......againicon15.gif!

So now I have bumps on each wrap about the size of half a pea. Is there any way to smooth them down and refinish? Can I shave the bumps down with a razor? The finish is "Classic high build".

Gilbey,

Not a problem. Here is what to do:

Let the finished wraps rest for three days to allow the finish to cure.

Carefully slice away the bumps using a new single-edge blade. Work slowly and carefully so not to cut into the threads.

Using 400 grit paper gently sand the bumps to flatten them out. When level with the rest of the thread wraps continue to sand using 400 grit paper until the entire wraps are smooth.

Clean the entire area with isopropyl alcohol and paper towels.

Now apply two thin coats of finish. Allow the second coat to cure for three days. Then sand down again as above, clean and then apply and final coat of finish.

I can't believe I did exactly the same thing last night.

I used regular flexcoat.

Is it ok to apply the flexcoat "Lite" formula over the regular flexcoat after I take the bumps out ?

Or should I just continue with the regular flexcoat and just use thinner coats.

Thanks.

Hey Kml, sure stinks, don't iticon15.gif. This was my first rod in a long time. I set it all up, put on my top coat and let it spin away in my den. As I checked it one more time before I went up to bed, I was thinking, hey, this came out pretty darm good. Boy was I angry the next morning!

FWIW Al's advice (as usual) was right onicon14.gif. Took a while to get things nice and smooth, but on most of the wraps you can't tell anything ever went wrong.

[This message has been edited by Gilbey (edited 03-24-2003).]