Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kip

taking the plunge

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

OK ya'll (yes, vinnie, i am southern) i have decided to begin building my own rods. so far, all i have done is to buy books to learn about it. next i want to build the essential equipment, and that is what i need from you, advice.

what are the essential things that i REALLY need to start wrapping my own rods? what are good resources for blanks, guides, thread, etc..? having been doing this a while, what would have done differently when you started off? anything else, used equipment that you are no longer using etc......just let me know. thanks.

kip

You don't really need very much to get started Kip.

You'll need the obvious stuff like a blank, stuff for the butt/grip, reel seat, guides, thread, glue and epoxy. But other than tha,t the rest of the stuff is kind of a luxury.

I wrapped my first few rods across the back of 2 kitchen chairs, used a phone book to keep tension on the thread, and a coffee cup to stop the spool from running across the floor. I used my fly drying wheel to spin the blank till the epoxy set up. Those rods came out OK. But I think they just came out OK because of my skills, not the method or tools I used.

I've since moved up to the V-block hand wrapper (but you can do the same thing almost, with a cardboard box) and invested about $5 for a dryer with parts from all electronic dot com (motor plug etc) chuck is PVC from home cheapo and bracket was "found".

I've done about 10 rods so far, to me wrapping is a lot like fly tying, it's all about thread control. Then later epoxy control.

I get my materials form a bunch of different sources, I'm fortunate that a local B&T has blanks & some components. Custom Tackle has been my on line source for stuff, they have been icon14.gificon14.gif , I've also picked up some blanks through the folks right here on SOL smile.gif .

Do a web search for rod building and after you weed though the "hot rod" sites you'll find one or 2 that get lots of hits and have a lot of info to add to what you can learn right here.

That time where folks get more active with regards to rod building is slowly creping up on us, I hope to do a rod or 3 this winter too smile.gif .

thanks for the reply. seems like it shouldn't be too bad to do. i am going to start by stripping an old rod whose guides i never really liked and re-do it, including removing the foam grips and replacing it with cork tape. i think that there are some plans in the clements book for the "V" blocks with the use of a coffee mug and a couple of telephone books to handle the thread tension.

i'll let you know how it goes. the mudhole catalog arrived yesterday and i'll get the basic beginning stuff from there. seems like there is a lot of stuff on e-bay. besides the books, all i am doing is watching to see how much things go for to begin guaging whether or not something isa good buy ( and something that i really need).

thanks again!