Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfster

rod handle question

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

hello al,

i have a rod that has a cork handle with the rings that you that jam on to the reel handle

to attach the reel to the rod .i am tired of these rings coming loose everytime i use this rod i will like to put on a fugi reel seat . the problem is i do not want to destroy the cork on this rod .do you have any suggestions on what i can do? the rod is an ultra lite used for trout fishing.

thanks ,

dan

Surfster,

You will have to do a little surgery, but it's not too difficult.

First decide what size Fuji seat you want to use. My guess it a #17 or #18.

Take the seat and put it uo against the handle. Mark the position of the seat on the cork on both ends.

Remove the butt cap. You may have to replace it.

Wrap masking tape bands around the handle at each end of the reelseat marks leaving the area between the marks exposed.

If you have a motorized wrapping lathe, then turn down the exposed area. If not, then use a wood rasp or Stanley Shureform tool to turn down the cork. Keep checking that the O.D. matches the I.D. of the seat.

Measure half the distance between the marks and place a pencil mark on the cork. Now wrap a band of masking tape around the handle where the center mark is. This will be your cutting guide.

Using a bandsaw or fine toothed hacksaw, cut through the cork handle and through the blank.

The next step is to fit a fiberglass plug to rejoin the two pieces of the handle. You will need a piece of scrap blank. Let me know the approximate ID of the front section and I will send you a piece from my shop.

The plug will need to be approximately 6 inches long with 3 inches in both sections.

Once the plug is fitted and cut, you then insert the plug into the butt piece and epoxy glue it in place. let it dry for 24 hours.

Now, glue the reelseat to the tip end of the grip carefully aligning the reelseat with the guides. Let it dry for 24 hours.

Check the fit of the plug in the tip end. Gently sand it to get a snug fit. Now glue both sections together Let it all dry for 24 hours.

Glue on the butt cap and you are finished.

Al

Al,

I just did something real similar to what you mentioned. A friend broke his rod at the bottom of the real seat, I used a wooden dowel inserted into each piece and epoxied it up. Hope it works OK with wood, haven't used it yet. Mike

Al...

Would it be easier to remove the old one and to purchase an inexpensive Pac Bay seat and use a hack saw to cut it down the middle on the trigger side. Pull the butt cap off and slide it up to where you want it and then use some epoxy.

Some guys just use a load of electrical or hockey tape.

Just a thought.

Mark

[This message has been edited by MarkL (edited 10-17-2001).]

hey al thanks for the reply,

i had the same idea but wanted to get advice from a more experinced rod bulider than my self. i will definitely will use this technique.and thanks for offering a piece of blank to me.hearing this from you , i know i am on the right track. i will let you know if i need a piece of blank. i have some laying around that might work.this will be a good winter project.

dan