Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stroth

BustedRod!

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Snapped my xra1322 yesterday right at the second guide from the butt.

I know I can send it back to Lami and they might send me a new blank, but I'd have to pay for shipping. I think the rates for a one piece 11' rod are ridiculous, but I'm not totally sure. Anyone know?

Does anyone also know if it is possible to repair the break. I was thinking that I could glue in either a piece of wood or preferably another piece of a broken rod. Then expoy over it. Kind of like a permanent ferrule.

Has anyone ever done this?

Will it drastically alter the blanks performance?

Much thanks!

stroth

After spending the time doing a repair that I doubt will satisfy you, I bet you'll wish you sent the blank back to Lamiglas. You might even be able to piggyback your replacement blank on a dealer shipment.

Your mileage may vary,

gad

If you want to fix it your self I suggest you go to rodbuilding.org and do a search for fixing a broken rod. There was an excellent article in Rodmaker Mag by Ralph Quinn, a while ago, on fixing broken rods.

Shipping a one piece blank CAN run as high as $90. frown.gif

I would send it back shipping to Washington is not bad If they will warranty it see if you could

trade for a XRA1322-2 (two piece)then your check for 15.00 would cover return shipping. Seems better to have a two piece than a repaired one piece

Thanks for the posts.

I found that article in rodmaker magazine. Man, pretty technical stuff. I don't have spare graphite laying around confused.gifmad.gif

I'm going to make a call today to a local builder to see if he can fix it. If he can't do it, I'm sending it back to Lamiglass and I'll just see what happens.

I've got to take the guides off though right?

Gonna break my heart to part with this rod. It was my first custom and a SWEEEEEET stick.

Stroth