Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eastbayfisher

Starting help

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I am just getting started on building rods. I have fished all my life and am now looking forward to building my own rodss. What I am looking for is a few helpfull tips from the wise. I need to get some blanks and guides and all the other needed things for a rod. But the catch is is that I'm looking for cheap things. Not to be used out on the water but things I can use to practice on before I sink money into the real things and screw them up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

You can look for Forecast and Gator Glass blanks, both will make a tough and very fishable rod. Fuji hardaloy guides are inexpensive and won't let you down. Fuji reel seat and foam for the grips will probaly run $10. Epoxy and thread... yer ready to go.

Building your basic rod ain't rocket surgery that's why I spec'd Fuji components- there's no reason not to enjoy your first efforts smile.gif

gad

Where in Texas are you located? I bet their is a builder in your area who would love to put you under their fin. What manulas do you have and what kind of rod are you looking to build.

Good Wraps Bob

I am about 2 hours south west of Houston. I only know of one rod builder near me and I have one of his rods. That is a big part of what caught my interest in rod building. I have just ordered a book called "step by step rod building" but I don't remember the author. I have also read several articles on the net by rod builders. I do mainly salt water fishing. Wade fishing to be specific. But I do take the wife out on the water every now and then and soak some bait with her. So I am looking to build casting and boat rods. Thank yall for the helpful tips. I'm really looking forward to getting started.

For basic info there are a few good books out there

for rods to practise on try yard sales and Garage sales, also keep your Eyes open on trash day (you will not believe what people throw away)

Recently found a Diawa 50# trolling Rod with a Aftco Uni-butt sticking out of a trash can all it needed was to be cleaned and new Roller guides,uni-butt is perfect!! Also hanging in my rack is a 12 foot Surf rod (Diawa) all it needed was a tip. KEEP LOOKING!!