Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FISHNFOOL

Ist guide on spinning rod?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Today I looked over the new line of FinNor rods.. I was surprised to see a very small 1st /collection guide on all the models.. So I fiqured I ask the pros here,, Is the first guide/eye size important to distance.. Is it important to the size of the spool on the reel that is being used? Why is it they seem to be getting smaller? Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanx Bill

many builders, myself included, have gone to smaller stripping guides. the key is that many people are using braid which comes off the spool tighter and eliminates the need for a big stripping guide. smaller spools also contribute to that. If youre using a smaller stripping guide, make sure it is far enough away from the reel as well.. with that extra distance, it cuts down the angle at which the line comes off the spool...

BC

I don't see much of that up here in RI and MA. People still use 40HH or 50 BSVLG gathering guides on surf spinners. That's what I prefer too. In fact i wish Fuji still made the 50HH guide. I have one on an old spinner from the mid 80's but haven't seen one for sale in years.

on production rods, the ONLY factor that decides the collector guide size is shipping size. it has nothing to do with mechanics of casting or fish fighting ability. on a custom rod, there are many factors such as reel size, line type, personal preference, etc....

I'ts all about PROFIT. Larger or better quality/size guides cost more. Even in quantity, and over 20,000 or more factory rods out the door in the market place 5.00 bucks saved here and there make a big differance in the bottom line. And with tackle companies thats the name of the game. Big Dave

So would a Lami GSB120 1M with a Penn 704 or 706 be ok with a 40HH instead of the 50 for the stripping guide? If I used 20lb mono?

Does the 40HH keep the line away from the blank better than the regular Fuji 50?

Thanks.

I have 2 glass rods with BSVLG 50 and 2 graphite rods with 4OHH. I don't use mono anymore even my 706 has braid on it.

I never test casted the 706 w/ mono and 40HH, that's really the only way to get the right answer smile.gif Otherwise use a 50.

Your mileage may vary,

gad

Thanks for the helpful info. I did test cast the rod with a 704 and the 40HH and I made a nice bird's nest, although I'm thinking it may have been that I had too much mono on the reel.

Worst case scenario I switch to braid. Thanks!

All I can say is try it for yourself. One thing is for sure, on a lighter blank the weight difference will be noticeable. Search the archives for Low Rider and you'll see a couple of posts on how to set the guides up. ONLY with braid though.

Of course you can stick with teh proven 40 and 50's, but if you want to try something new and possibly improved, there is info on how to do so.