Shop Set Ups

Rate this topic

mike3dr

I still have to hook up a dust collection system. I think the small Jet I have won't be enough as I would like to run pipe underneath the upper shelf then down to each tool. For now I put the lathe on the baker staging and roll the Jet dust collector up too it...it does a nice job with the finer dust.

Is that your wife in the pic? and if it is, does she shake her head and ask ''why do you need so many of those fishing things''? Just wondering because when my wife comes into the shop and I'm working on plugs, she just smiles.

Lol my daughters.I have a great wife also
Hook'um Hard!!!!

That's what my area looks like all the time. The only time it's clean is when I start in Dec. and then when I start in Dec. again following year. I feel weird if I'm not tripping over something or looking under stuff to find something.

what's the secret word for tonight

That's what my area looks like all the time. The only time it's clean is when I start in Dec. and then when I start in Dec. again following year. I feel weird if I'm not tripping over something or looking under stuff to find something.

I just cleaned mine because I'm just painting now

Esteem. Isn't that what comes out of the tea pot? With a compliment like that and obviously low standards pertaining to me at least how can I refuse. Besides I just painted the stairway down to the cellar last week out of the xmas time off boredom and removed a giant wood lathe I had visions of revamping with all the good parts going to Mike Fixter out on the left coast so I have been sprucing up the mess. I got nutin special and not sure where you live but could be possible for you to come by some day. Always good to let the wife see that there are others wasting time doing this. Me I'd rather go see Winch's place where you can go turn plugs outside in winter. I could turn icicle needles outside now and still 2.5 months to go.

Thanks Steel,  I live in Strong (Long) Island.  Don't really know how far you are but I have not started to turn yet.  Waiting for the lathe to get delivered and I have to sell a car out of the garage to clear space to set up a shop.  Thats why I started this thread to get ideas on how to set it up.  I would love to get a tutoring session with you because I am a old rookie and need all the help I can get. 

That is NY ? I'm way too far for you to go. Heck it wouldn't be worth driving more than 10 miles for. My wife won't even walk down the cellar stairs to see me. She just yells at me from upstairs.

Just ask lots of questions and check the search button for the subject you desire and I am sure you will get all you need for info, plus to me half the fun is figuring out stuff for yourself.

I think the most overwhelming problem for guys just starting out is there is too much information. You get over loaded with too many different techniques and if you keep bouncing around and not settling on something, like sealing and clear coating, painting, etc... it seems you never enjoy what you are doing, if that makes sense.. When I started I was always looking for another sealing method or another epoxy or some kind of fixture that was better than what I was doing, it became frustrating thinking I was not doing it the best way but once I got my process down I stuck with it and it became way more fun, and don't forget there is 100 different ways to do something. No way is the best especially if you end up with the same result in the end. If you get stuck feel free to PM me and I will confuse you even more. They are only fishing plugs. Paul