Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sageguy

GUSA Fly Blank??

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I know you guys all build meat stix, plug chucker's, 8 n bait type rods, tog rods, so I'm tossing this out in hopes someone more civilized will see it. wink.gifbiggrin.gif

I have been longing after a GUSA Big Game Fly Rod for a couple of winters now, and this recent cold spell seems a good time to actually bring the plan together.

I know there are some fella's(Billy40, etc.) who have a good knowledge of the GUSA line of sticks.

Was just wondering if perhaps anyone has seen or even more insanely used either of the following listed blanks. I'm really leaning towardsd the 8'er.

F8015DH 8' 15 weight 2 piece 3.77 ozs

F9015DH 9' 15 weight 2 piece 4.40 ozs

Any feedback at all would be helpful.

If anyone is putting together an order for a GUSA maybe I could jump on their coattails and we could save a buck or 2 on combined shipping.

chris

What are you using the rod for?

Casting from a boat or shore? What is the intended quarry?

If you are after tuna and shark, I'd go with the 8' so you have a better leverage advantage during the fight.

BTW, havn't fished those myself (have a SAGE 15) but those are great blanks!

I haven't had the pleasure of pulling on any GUSA fly rods. I have heard nothing but excellent things about them though, and believe they are the blanks Abel builds on for their series of Fly rods. They recently lowered the price on the GUSA's by about 20%, and are coming out with a new line of Glass blanks & a few new Offshore's with kick ass names, Trident & Viper & a Mini Predator in 6'6 with a softer tip.

Billy,

Is there a need for a new line of "glass" blanks in this day and age of high tech materials. Do you what applications they will cover??

Just curious........

chris

Without a doubt, people love the bend of Glass, the durability over graphite, and the cost. I'm getting one as a sample, a 20-30# comparable to a GF800L I hope. There are more Glass Offshore rods than Composites, both from Seeker & Calstar, imo the 2 most popular Ofshore blank Manu's.

I dunno though, most glass has a parabolic bend to it, and these are supposed to have a bend comparable to CAlstar Grafiters. It's very possible I misnderstood and these are composites. I'll find out for sure when I speak to them again, 3 calls in 2 days I'm sure they've heard enough from Mr. Vivona, lol.

Odd, sometimes you start a thread about something and WHAMMO!!!!

Get home early from work today(or else she would have found it) and what do I see on the back step?? A 9' long white tube. (Awfully nice of FEDEX to leave it without a signature. redface.gif At least it wan't by the front door.)

Inside, custom twisted GUSA Predator spiral wrapped conventional. This stick was made by CA builder Jim Racela, his work has been on the cover of Rodbuilder magazine. I realized the type of job I wanted was beyond my abilities, so I got in touch with him.

Simply phenomenal!!

Can't wait to stap my AVET EX4/0 to it this summer.

On an interesting note, I think the Predator may make a superb BFT spinning rod, perhaps just take a few inches off the back. Talk about a sore back!!

What do think Mr. Vivona????

chris

LOL!! I've been e-mailing the Chef the past couple of days regarding him building "so many" rods on the East Coast. He does great work, but more importantly is an extremely nice guy. Please bring that on teh 5th, as I've never seen one of Jim's builds in person, only in pictres on the net and in the Mag.

OK, now that you've got the Predator, you can kind of "feel" the Predator "Lite" - 6'6 with a little softer tip. According to Roy the P-Lite is perfect for what you want to do, as the lighter tip should ease some of the back soreness. I only caught 1 Tuna on my Predator, stuck the forgrip on teh rail and got the fish to the boat. I've got an Avet 4/0EXW on there as well (mine's Purple though tongue.gif ) and it really was easy to bring the 50-60# BFT up.

59 - I posted that here last year, GUSA nor Abel hide this from the public - if you ask. I haven't seen any fly rods, but I have a strong suspicion tehy can be used as a very light plastic/Bomber rod - like the one Big Country wants to build. Too bad tere is not one place that stocks GUSA's on teh East Coast...except me, lol.

59 - I posted that here last year, GUSA nor Abel hide this from the public - if you ask. I haven't seen any fly rods, but I have a strong suspicion tehy can be used as a very light plastic/Bomber rod - like the one Big Country wants to build. Too bad tere is not one place that stocks GUSA's on teh East Coast...except me, lol.

Could you bring them all to the NERDS, just so I can see them. biggrin.gif

chris

Unfortunately, I cannot bring any rods or blanks on Greyhound. However, I can show you a picture which is a pretty accurate representation of Hunter Green. TheEmerald Green, imo is a "Better" color, and would have matched teh wraps on this rod almost to a Tee. When I ordered the blank, I did not specify which GReen I wanted, and got the Hunter. Still nice, but imo Emerald is nicer/

greengusa.jpg