Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
freddy

Rainshadow 1509/Breakaway 1509

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

From what I hear the new Rainshadow version of the 1509 is a bit lighter and easier to handle and load compared to the Breakaway 1509. I also hear the new Rainshadow 1508 is a true heaver also and a little lighter than both the 1509s.

Whats your opinion on these rods? Will be casting 8-10oz and a bunker head with this new set up,I am looking for distance without getting to beat up......

If you really plan on throwing 8/10 plus a head a serious distance get the 1509...if the majority of your baitfishing calls for less payload get the 1508.

I have owned the 1509 BA and the 1508 BA, the 1508 BA was a nice stick, shouldnt have sold it. The 1509 BA was a beast, glad I got rid of it.

Now, I have the RS 1509 ...this thing is the shizz man. I love it, light weight and throws wonderfully. Plus it fights a fish alot better than the BA did. I might get another one.

Adam

I have the 1508 RS. I have only had it a few months, but it seems like a great rod. Amazingly light, and very forgiving. I would say 8-10 with a head might be a stretch though. It seems perfect to load 7-8 w/ a regular chunk.

I have an rod that I built on an allstar 1509 a few years ago. It will handle 8-10oz. + bait no problem. It is a beast of a rod and a lot of people feel it is tough to load. I liked the rod a lot and didn't have any trouble with it, but it is a little more rod than I typically needed for drum fishing. I wanted to get something just a little bit lighter that was more fun to fight a fish on. I ended up building a rod on an Outcast bland and love it. The 1509 is now a backup/cobia rod.

I've also thrown a 1508 that my buddy has. It was an allstar blank also. It liked how it threw, but I thought it was better suited for 6-8oz + bait. He uses it as his primary drum rod and does fine with it. To tell you the truth I've only fished 10oz+bait a handfull of times, so anything that can handle 8oz for me would be fine. Even though I like how it throws, I think the 1509 is a little more rod than most people need.

I ended up building a rod on an Outcast blank and love it.

Mike, I'm looking at that blank right now - the 1625. How did you cut yours? 12'6"? How much did you cut off the tip and butt? I was looking at a 7' tip and a 6' butt. But I'm wondering if this setup will be able to cast 8oz and a big bunker head?? I could build it with a shorter tip, but I'm afraid it will be too hard to load. I dunno. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yep the Outcast blank I have is the 1625 and I built it to a total length of 12'6". I took very little off the tip. I think I only removed and 1" to get it to fit a size 10 (tube) tip guide. I cut the balance off at the butt to make the rod 12'6" fully assembled.

I personally wouldn't try taking anything more than a 1" or 2" off the tip without talking to someone who has tried it. It isn't as much rod as the 1509, but it is by no means a wimpy rod. I landed a number of big drum and rays with it this spring and the 1625 had plenty of guts. It will launch an 8oz weight + a good size bunker chunk with no problem. I haven't tried, but I think it would do fine with 10oz. I don't see any reason why it couldn't handle 8oz + a full bunker head.

If you want I can email or PM you the name of they guy I got the blank off of and you can talk to him about it.

I have the 12.6 Outcast in a spinning version. I had Hatteras Outfitters do it and it is an awesome pole but mine does best with 4 oz and a cut in half head. I have tossed 8n chunk with it but it wont fly without alot of work this rod is at its best with 6 to 8 total ozs . Light weight and puts the hurt on those fish. Glad to say that I caught my first striper of the spring on the pole and it was awesome. I am now going to some thing that will really toss the 8n a whole head without the strain on the pole 1509 RainShadow. Tres at HO will help you with the cut down question they have a website Hatteras Outfitters .com smile.gif

Definitely give Tres a shout. He will know how to set up that blank to do what you what. Freddy's rod was proabably set up by just cutting down the butt and not taking anything off the tip. The rod is ratetd at 4-8oz. with a full length tip. I set up mine by taking very little of the tip (1-2") and the rest off the butt to get it to 12.5'. That inch off the tip makes a big difference cause mine is perfect at 8oz. and could handle more. wink.gif

The Outcast 1625 will throw 10-bait all day long, Ive done it more than once. Mine wont load with 4oz, 6-8oz-bait is the sweet spot. Mine is 12'4.5" cut back to a 10 tip I believe.

Adam

The tip of my rod was not cut down, I probably would have ordered the cut down tip model which they do offer if I thought I could have put a full head and 8 oz and cast it like the 1509s. For the sake of arguement my outcast will not cast 8na big bait with any distance. When I put 3 or 4oz and a chunk look to the east 4 and a cut down head look east, will cast 8nbait but cannot get the distance. This is the best spinning outfit I have ever had, maybe I need to change my casting technique? smile.gif

To beef up your spinning rod a bit you may be able to take an inch off the tip without having to rewrap the whole rod. wink.gif I would talk to Tres about that.

Freddy, I've built two 1509's and love them. I wanted something that would throw 12 plus oz's with no strain, and these blanks are the ticket. I cut 6 inches off the tip of both rods with no ill effects on loading or casting distance (with at least 8 oz's combined weight). The blanks are really light feeling compared to the Pinnacle absolute that I was using. If there is one drawback that I've noticed it would be the fact that I really can't load it with less than 6 oz's and a chunk of bait (or fish head). This isn't a concern for me since I built it to throw max weight. If you feel uncomfortable cutting that much off the tip, it's still enough rod to throw 10 oz's. Hope this helps in your decision.

One Gunner you did not mention either the RainShadow? Or the Breakaway? I wont be using this pole but for the 8-10 plus a whole head in the spring and big big chunks in the fall... trying to put it on the moon.... Yes all the info I get here will determine which rod I purchase. I am leaning towards the RainShadow for its light weight and ability to also handle the load I plan to put on it........Thank you

Another rod you may want to consider the "inferno". The blank is built in Wilmington, NC and you can buy the blank or finished rod (as a custom) from Hatteras Jacks in Rodanthe, NC.

I test casted an early version and it outcasted my BA 1509 by a substantial margin using a 6 oz stingsilver and a 10 oz trolling sinker.

It is much lighter than the BA 1509 and the butt is narrow enough to put a size 22 trigger seat on it. It will cost a bit more than a BA 1509 but well worth the extra money.

I have not casted the RS 1509 so I can't rate it in comparison with the Inferno. I really like the Rainshadow blanks though.

Tom