Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sergio

How to check the spine of a rod tip when it is finished

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hi Al... I am interested in knowing what is your prefered method for checking the spine in a finished rod (or rod tip).

Thanks beforehand for your expert advise.

Sergio

I would think that if you put the line through the guides ad attached the line to the ground and flexed the rod you'd be able to tell. You'd need to have a lot of pressure on it. If its off spline it will not flex in a straight line.

I had a Sabre 655XXH rod attached to a gander which was built off spline. Didn't know it until it was maxed out. This torqued the rod and it flexed to one side. With roller guides it wasn't good. Too bad the fish didn't hit the companion rod which had conventional guides on it as I could have landed the fish with that rod.

Sergio,

I hear the Crazy One is coming to visit with you. Good luck. Take some vitamins, you will need it to stay up with him.

Jon S. explained how to check the spine on a production rod. Most production rods are not spined. Just last year Lamiglas began spining their production rods and found that they had a significant reduction in claims for breakage.

Al G.

Al and Jon... sorry for the delayed response.

Thank you both for your advise.

Jon... I don't know why this did not ocurred to me before as I have seen many times (specially when fishing offshore) how a rod with the guides off the spine behaves redface.gif .

Thanks a lot for the comment.

It is hard to believe that a company like Lami is just beggining to set the guides taking in consideration the spine Al. I really hate a rod with a problem of this type, this is something that will show specially when powercasting (the tip turning and leaving the guides out of alignment after a few casts mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif ) or fighting the rod whe fighting a big fish. But it happens sometimes on good realtively inexpensive rods, but also on the most expensive rods that cost more than $300 (I unfortunatelly know that from experience).

Yes, Alberto is coming Al and I am really looking forward to fish with him. My friends are always begging me to quit fishing and return home and they call me sometimes something more colorful than "crazy" to convince me throw a "real" last cast, but I will take my vitamins... just in case smile.gif

Thanks again to both for your advise.

Best wishes.

Sergio

Sergio,

It never ceases to amaze me how proper spining of the rod can effect the rod's performance in both casting and fish fighting.

Alberto and I are both light-tackle buffs and have taken many large fish on very light tackle. I truly believe that if the rod wasn't properly spined than we would not have had the casting performance needed to get that plug or fly out to the strike zone or once hooked, the ability to get that fish to the boat or beach.

You mentioned how an improperly spined rod is a problem when fighting a very large fish. You should see what can happen when fighting an 800-1000# giant bluefin tuna.

I have seen rods initially torque and eventually explode under the stress.

I spoke to the Crazy One last night and he is busy tying flies for his visit with you.

Best,

Al G.

Al,

Having spent an afternoon in Alberto's basement, I begin to drool when I think about his tying office. I would guess that most fly fishing shops have less stock than the crazy one -- beautiful.