Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandcrab

Cork tape and reel seat questions

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Looking to put cork tape and a trigger reel seat on the new blank (All Star 1265/2) I am building. Should I put the cork tape on the rear grip, then slide on the reel seat followed by the cork tape foregrip? Can I put cork tape on the whole area and then slide the trigger seat on top?

...And what about finishing the cork tape foregrip? Do I wrap from the cork to the blank (after sanding to make it tapered) OR do I put shrink wrap on this area? And where do winding checks come in to play?

I know - toooo many questions...Thanks for the help.

Sandcrab

clean the rod with alchohol. Mark area where seat will go and sand off the gloss with very fine sandpaper. Apply cork tape to the butt. Apply some bushings using masking tape so the seat is centered. Epoxy the seat on. Apply the cork tape to the foregrip. Taper the end. Wrap from the blank up the taper onto the cork. You can apply shrink wrap if you like but i don't. Add a second layer of thread up the taper if you have spaces. I use C thread over the cork tape but A everywhere else.

Good Luck

Ron, winding checks are rarely seen anymore. Their prime use was really to disguise sloppy reaming at the top end of a cork foregrip. Some do use 'em as a handy "finish check", giving you a non-absorbent surface to cut your thread finish to with no worry of it bleeding up into the foregrip material.