Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BassAssasin

Production Rods

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Al, I posted this in the main forum but it would be more appropriately addressed here. I have been told and read that production rod are built off spline. Is this true of even the high end rods like Lami, Loomis and St. Croix?

Thanks for bringin' this over here BA...I'll repost my question from the other board...I'd like to know how to look at my rods to see if they're built on spline or not. Is that obvious in a finished rod?

Most manufacturers don't spine their rods and put the guides on so that any bend in the rod is on the bottom and is less noticable when you look down the rod.

Al,

This spine topic has been a pet peeve of mine for awhile.

I've asked various manufacturers where they locate the guides in reference to the spine and have had various answers .

Sage has told me they locate the guides 90 degrees to the spine and I have seen one flyrod making video that advocates the same idea.

Steve Rajeff has told me he doesn't even spine his personal rods and that the spine actually rotates around the blank depending on where the rod is flexed.

I've seen tests done with flyrods built by Clay Johnson and Cam Clark with guides on both sides of the rod that seemed to suggest that they were better distance casters with the guides positioned on the spine.

Anyway my question is ,have you done any actual testing on spinning rods that proves that putting the guides on the spine(outside of the bend) versus 180 degrees to the spine actually increases casting distance and by how much?

And one more for you ,for a surf spinner do you believe in as few guides as possible for more distance or more guides as in the new concept principle?

Ken

Ken,

Not being a spin fisherman, I have not personally done any casting tests to scientifically prove that placing the guides on the spine vs 180 degrees will improve your casting distance. However, my customers seemed to be very happy with the results.

I have seen dramatic improvements in casting distance on fly rods with the spine and guides in alignment. The rod loads better and more power is generated on the back and forward stroke. It is the feeling of many respected rod builders that this is also true for spinning rods.

Al

Hi Al - I just wanted to add I built a Sage RPLX 5 wt. fly rod on the spine NOT the effective spine and it wants to twist with a fish on. I also purchased and quickly returned a Lami factory Ron Arra 10' spinner built on the spine which would consistently cast to the right. I have done some testing with spinning rod with the guides both on the spine and on the effective spine. For the testing I did I did NOT see any difference in distance. Given my findings I go with the effective spine every time.

When I tested some Sage rods at the dealer one time I noticed the spines were off by 90 degrees also. When I asked the guy he said that they build them that way. He told me that when an average person is casting for long periods of time he or she will no longer hold the rod tightly with their thumb on top of the cork. As a result if you are a right handed caster the reel shifts off to the right. In other words if you were casting then stoped and held the rod out in front of you and then pointed the tip up in the 12 o clock position the reel would be poking out at a 45 degree angle (off to the right). This is especially true when using heavy reels like Billy pates, Charletons anything big. Since becoming aware of this I have notice mysely doing it very often. Makes sence to me.....My only question is what if you are a left handed caster. then the thing is all fouled up. Go figure..