Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dcobbett

Blanks for 12-15 weight fly rod

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

All,

FWIW, I've alos posted this note on the Fly Fishing Forum; sorry for the duplication, but I wasn't sure which forum was most appropriate. Anyway, I want to build a couple of heavy weight fly rods, say between 12 and 15 weight, and I have been looking for alternatives to today's expensive (usually > $325), high end, state of the art blanks available from the major rod makers. I also think some of the older, so-called composite blanks S-glass, E-glass, etc.) may be more durable and have more lifting power. In any event, I would like a rod around 8'-6" and that cast well. I've noticed Lamiglas's Tri Flex blank (# CSB 102 2L) as well as similar blanks by other manufactures. Has anybody done this before, is it practical (considering the time/$ involved), and does anyone have suggestions/recommendations regarding other blanks, etc? Thanks in advance

Given the likelyhood of breaking a bluewater rod I'd prolly just buy one with a good warranty or use the guides wink.gif

If I was to build one though, it would be on a Graphite USA blank.

If you are looking to build a bluewater fly rod for fishing tuna, marlin or big sharks then you need a rod with lots of lifting power and castability. My preference would be a 1-piece 14-15 weight composite fly blank.

I would check with Todd Vivian at Lamiglas. They make composite bluewater fly blanks in multi-piece. However, I do know they are developing a series of 1-piece blanks.

I would look at GUSA as well, despite the cost being out of your price range. After the time you will put in to build the rod and the potential of hooking a fish of a lifetime, the cost of the blank becomes secondary. JMHO.

Al

htt 455Tidy_15wt_GUSA_tuna_fly-med.jpg

GUSA F8015DDH blank, Struble 4M seat with recessed forward hood. #1 cork throughout- 39 rings total gave my Renzetti quite a workout!

It's a heavy blank compared to the 5-8 wt rods I usually make, but the finished product balances surprisingly well with the heavy reel it will be fished with.

It's not cheap though- I have $289 in this rod...

$68.25\t39 cork rings @ $1.75 each

$5.00\tdecal

$108.00\tGUSA 8015DH blank

$28.00\tStruble 4M reel seat

$80.46\tFuji titanium SIC guides (size 8- 7, size 12- 1, size 16- 1 and tip top)