Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mike v

harnel blank

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hey Al, could you steer me right .I got this harrnell 9,6 blank and want to know if its worth for me to have it built up for to throw bait at the winter fling in Hatteras.I'd like to have set up for conventional. thanks mike v

Mike,

Not knowing the specs of the blank it is difficult to comment on. Typically Hatteras rods are well over ten feet and are capable of handling 6-10 ounces of sinker and cut bait.

Al

If it's 9'6", it's probably been cut. The 2 10' blanks I'm familiar with are the 542 and the 552. The 552 at 10' can throw as heavy a weight as you'd want from the surf. 8 and bait would be a walk in the park. The 542 could handle heavy weight if it was cut 6" from the tip, but you might be pressing it too much if it was cut from the butt.

You might want to consider having a butt extension fitted into the blank to bring it up to 10-1/2' or 11'. At 11', if you have a 552 blank, you'd have a great heaver, but probably one you wouldn't want to hold onto for hours at a time biggrin.gif

Mike, sorry to be slowing jumping in here; took me a little bit to gather all my Harnell information and, as I was suspecting, Harnell doesn't produce (nor, I am almost positive, previously produce) any 9'-6" blanks, so it's most likely a trimmed 10 footer, all of which - other than the rarely seen 756 - are very ballsy blanks and should make up into a decent "mini-heaver". As Al noted, it's a tad short by modern Hatteras standards, but there's plenty of old regulars doing plenty of business with their ten footers, and 9'-6" is close enough wink.gif. You should be able to get a fair amount of use out of it, and I, for one, would encourage you to go ahead get 'er built.

Ahah! There's that second post that wouldn't show up until I followed it with one, owing to a little system glitch Tim just expained to me. Hi DJ! Shoulda guessed you'd be in on this one with your, as always, well-informed thoughts wink.gif

Mike V, here's a clue, if you've got (or can borrow) a decent vernier caliper. A stock 542 will have a butt diameter of .875 and a tip (at ten feet) of 10/64. At the full ten feet, once again, a 552's butt should be the same (.875) but the tip would read 18/64. The great disparity in tip diameters should make it easy to pinpoint what you've got there, despite the missing 6". Obviously neither blank could be mistaken for the other with that differential.

[This message has been edited by Bill Klein (edited 12-06-2000).]