Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stringman

Old rod need much help and advice

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I've got an old rod that belonged to my grandfather.( at 51 I'm a third generation Hatteras heaver). I think it's a Harnell hollow fiberglass 11' one piece spinning rod. It has a red aluminum spinning reel seat, with chrome hoods and a single knurled tightening ring. This rod was re-wrapped by my father about 25 years ago. 1) Do you think the rod is worth re-building? 2) The guides and the reel seat are off the spine by 45 degrees. Is there any way to turn the reel seat? 3) Almost all of the paint or finish is off the rod with the bare fiberglass blank showing. What should I use to re-paint the blank back to black.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the last foot of the butt section consists of some type of extension epoxied into the butt. Not sure whether Harnell ever built any blank over 10'.

I'll be interested in the feedback on the refinishing, as my dad's old 552 has a lot of that, too.

I was thinking the same thing, DJ. There actually was one in the lineup, a twelve foot model 913 but - easy clue, and obviously not one here - it was a two piece, only, offering. As you stated, ten foot was the max for their one piece blanks.

Stringman,

What is probably needed is a complete rebuild of the rod which will require alot of time and effort. It is your decision whether to undertake the project.

The entire rod will need to be stripped of all components including the reel seat. You can use a hacksaw or a dremel tool and cut-off wheel to remove the seat.

Once the rod has been completely stripped then light sand down the blank with 400 grit paper.

Spine the blank and then glue up the handle assembly.

Thoroughly clean the blank and apply two thin coats of black epoxy or urethane spray paint.

Let the rod rest for a least a week before wrapping on the guides.

Good Luck.

Al